[Import-SIG] deprecation of pkgutil.extend_path()?

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 00:20:26 CEST 2013

Was there any discussion, relative to PEP 420, about deprecating
pkgutil.extend_path()?  The PEP talks about transitioning away from the
function, but does not talk about deprecation.

I ask because the PEP I just posted to this list fills the role played by
the `.pkg` files that extend_path() uses.  Since the two are tightly
coupled, it doesn't make sense to deprecate one without doing so for the
other.

Is there any reason not to put extend_path() on a (conservative)
deprecation schedule?  Considering that it's related and that I'm proposing
deprecation of `.pth` files, I can simply include such a schedule as part
of my PEP.

-eric