[Import-SIG] PEP proposal: Per-Module Import Path

Eric Snow ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com
Wed Jul 31 22:37:38 CEST 2013

On Fri, Jul 19, 2013 at 8:51 AM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:

> If this can lead to the deprecation of .pth files then I support the idea,
> but I think there are technical issues in terms of implementation that have
> not been throught through yet. This is going to require an implementation
> (even if it isn't in importlib._bootstrap but as a subclass of
> importlib.machinery.FileFinder or something) to see how you plan to make
> all of this work before this PEP can move beyond this SIG.
>

> On Thu, Jul 18, 2013 at 6:10 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Nick talked me into writing this PEP, so blame him for the idea. <wink>
>>  I haven't had a chance to polish it up, but the content communicates the
>> proposal well enough to post here.  Let me know what you think.  Once some
>> concensus is reached I'll commit the PEP and post to python-dev.  I have a
>> rough implementation that'll I'll put online when I get a chance.
>>
>> If Guido is not interested maybe Brett would like to be BDFL-Delegate. :)
>>
>> -eric
>>

>> PEP: 4XX
>> Title: Per-Module Import Path
>> Version: $Revision$
>> Last-Modified: $Date$
>> Author: Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>
>>         Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com>
>> BDFL-Delegate: ???
>> Discussions-To: import-sig at python.org
>> Created: 17-Jul-2013
>> Python-Version: 3.4
>> Post-History: 18-Jul-2013
>> Resolution:
>>

>> Abstract
>> =======
>>
>> Path-based import of a module or package involves traversing ``sys.path``
>> or a package path to locate the appropriate file or directory(s).
>> Redirecting from there to other locations is useful for packaging and
>> for virtual environments.  However, in practice such redirection is
>> currently either `limited or fragile <Existing Alternatives>`_.
>>
>> This proposal provides a simple filesystem-based method to redirect from
>> the normal module search path to other locations recognized by the
>> import system.  This involves one change to path-based imports, adds one
>> import-related file type, and introduces a new module attribute.  One
>> consequence of this PEP is the deprecation of ``.pth`` files.
>>

>> Motivation
>> =========
>>
>> One of the problems with virtual environments is that you are likely to
>> end up with duplicate installations of lots of common packages, and
>> keeping them up to date can be a pain.
>>
>> One of the problems with archive-based distribution is that it can be
>>

> You say "One of the problems" at the start of 3/4 of the paragraphs in
> this section. Variety is the spice of life. =) Try "Another problem is that
> for archive-based", etc.

This is basically a copy-and-paste from what Nick originally write, but I
kind of liked the enumeration feel of it.  However I'm not attached to it.
:)

>> tricky to register the archive as a Python path entry when needed
>> without polluting the path of applications that don't need it.
>>

> How is this unique to archive-based distributions compared to any other
> scenario where all distributions are blindly added to sys.path?

Thanks to Nick for explaining.  I'll update the PEP to be more clear on
this, since it's a pretty critical point of the proposal.

>> One of the problems with working directly from a source checkout is
>> getting the relevant source directories onto the Python path, especially
>> when you have multiple namespace package fragments spread across several
>> subdirectories of a large repository.
>>

> E.g., a source checkout for the coverage.py project might be stored in the
> directory ``coveragepy``, but the actual source code is stored in
> ``coveragepy/coverage``, requiring ``coveragepy`` to be on sys.path in
> order to access the package.

That's a good example.  I'll add it to the PEP.  I'm also considering at
least a variation on the Beaker example Nick gave.

>> The `current solutions <Existing Alternatives>`_ all have their flaws.
>> Reference files are intended to address those deficiencies.
>>

>> Specification
>> ===========
>>
>> Change to the Import System
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> Currently, during `path-based import` of a module, the following happens
>> for each `path entry` of `sys.path` or of the `__path__` of the module's
>> parent:
>>
>> 1. look for `<path entry>/<name>/__init__.py` (and other supported
>> suffixes),
>>   * return `loader`;
>> 2. look for `<path entry>/<name>.py` (and other supported suffixes),
>>   * return loader;
>> 3. look for `<path entry>/<name>/`,
>>   * extend namespace portions path.
>>

> Please capitalize the first letter of each bullet point (here and the rest
> of the PEP). Reads better since they are each separate sentences.

I wrote it in the way that felt most naturally structurally, but I'll admit
that I haven't brushed up on my MLA recommendations in many years. :)
 I''ll change it.

>> Once the path is exhausted, if no `loader` was found and the `namespace
>> portions` path is non-empty, then a `NamespaceLoader` is returned with that
>> path.
>>
>> This proposal inserts a step before step 1 for each `path entry`:
>>
>> 0. look for `<path entry>/<name>.ref`
>>

> Why .ref? Why not .path?

It doesn't matter to me too much, though I agree with Nick that .path is
too close to .pth.  Perhaps .pyp or .pypath would work.  (I believe .pyp
was also associated with another, albeit rejected, import-related  PEP.)
 Having the suffix clearly infer the purpose would be nice.  Regardless,
I'll be sure to add more rationale and considered alternatives for the
suffix.

>>   a. get loader for `<fullname>` (absolute module name) using path found
>> in `.ref` file (see below) using `the normal mechanism`[link to language
>> reference],
>>     * stop processing the path entry if `.ref` file is empty;
>>

> You should clarify how you plan to "get loader". You will have to find the
> proper finder as well in case the .ref file references a zip file or
> something which requires a different finder than the one which came across
> the .ref file.

Hopefully this part is more clear.  I plan on elaborating on the
relationship of the PEP with importlib and FileFinder specifically.  I will
explain there on how we get the loader (importlib.find_loader) and on why
we recurse against sys.meta_path rather than just sys.path.

>>   b. check for `NamespaceLoader`,
>>     * extend namespace portions path;
>>   c. otherwise, return loader.
>>
>> Note the following consequences:
>>
>> * if a ref file is found, it takes precedence over module files and
>> package directories under the same path entry (see `Empty Ref Files as
>> Markers`_);
>> * that holds for empty ref files also;
>> * the loader for a ref file, if any, comes from the full import system
>> (i.e. `sys.meta_path`) rather than just the path-based import system;
>> * `.ref` files can indirectly provide fragments for namespace packages.
>>

> This ramification for namespace packages make the changed semantic
> proposal a bit trickier than you are suggesting since you are essentially
> doing recursive path entry search. And is that possible? If I have a .ref
> file that refers to a path which itself has a .ref will that then lead to
> another search? I mean it seems like you going to be doing ``return
> importlib.find_loader(fullname, paths_found_in_ref) if paths_found_in_ref
> else None, []`` from within a finder which finds a .ref file, which itself
> would support a recursive search.

Hopefully my rough patch clarified this a bit.  As long as special-casing
NamespaceLoader and using its _path attribute are okay, namespace packages
should be fine.  I expect that there aren't any side effects from just
getting a NamespaceLoader instance from importlib.find_loader(), but I'll
double-check.  I'll probably also propose renaming NamespaceLoader's
"_path" attribute to "path" (the "public" version).

Regardless, I plan on having more explanation on nested .ref files, just so
there's no confusion.

> Everything below should come before the import changes. It's hard to
> follow what is really be proposed for semantics without  knowing e.g. .ref
> files can have 0 or more paths and just a single path, etc.

Makes sense.  I'll fix this.

>> Reference Files
>> ---------------
>>
>> A new kind of file will live alongside package directories and module
>> source files: reference files.  These files have the following
>> characteristics:
>>
>> * named `<module name>.ref` in contrast to `<module name>.py` (etc.) or
>> `<module name>/`;
>> * placed under `sys.path` entries or package path (just like modules and
>> packages).
>>
>> Reference File Format
>> ----------------------
>>
>> The contents of a reference file will conform to the following format:
>>
>> * contain zero or more path entries, just like sys.path;
>> * one path entry per line;
>> * path entry order is preserved;
>> * may contain comment lines starting with "#", which are ignored;
>> * may contain blank lines, which are ignored;
>> * must be UTF-8 encoded.
>>
>> Directory Path Entries
>> ----------------------
>>
>> Directory names are by far the most common type of path entry.  Here is
>> how they are constrained in reference files:
>>
>> * may be absolute or relative;
>> * must be forward slash separated regardless of platform;
>> * each must be the parent directory where the module will be looked for.
>>
>> To be clear, reference files (just like `sys.path`) deliberately
>> reference the *parent* directory to be searched (rather than the module or
>> package directory).  So they work transparently with `__pycache__` and
>> allow searching for `.dist-info <PEP 376>`_ directories through them.
>>
>> Relative directory names will be resolved based on the directory
>> containing the ref file, rather than the current working directory.
>>  Allowing relative directory names allows you to include sensible ref files
>> in a source repo.
>>
>> Empty Ref Files as Markers
>> -----------------------------
>>
>> Handling `.ref` files first allows for the use of empty ref files as
>> markers to indicate "this is not the module you are looking for".  Here are
>> two situations where that helps.
>>

> "Here" -> "There"

Here.  There.  It's somewhere, right? <wink>

>> First, an empty ref file helps resolve conflicts between script names and
>> package names.  When the interpreter is started with a filename, the
>> directory of that script is added to the front of `sys.path`.  This may be
>> a problem for later imports where the intended module or package is on a
>> regular path entry.
>>
>> If an import references the script's name, the file will get run again by
>> the import system as a module (only `__main__` was added to `sys.modules`
>> earlier) [PEP 395]_.  This is a further problem if you meant to import a
>> module or package in another path entry.
>>
>> The presence of an empty ref file in the script's directory would
>> essentially render it invisible to the import system.  This problem and
>> solution apply for all of the files or directories in the script's
>> directory.
>>
>> Second, the namespace package mechanism has a side-effect: a directory
>> without a __init__.py may be incorrectly treated as a namespace package
>> fragment.  The presence of an empty ref file indicates such a directory
>> should be ignored.
>>
>> A Module Attribute to Expose Contributing Ref Files
>>
>> Knowing the origin of a module is important when tracking down problems,
>> particularly import-related ones.  Currently, that entails looking at
>> `<module>.__file__` and `<module.__package__>.__path__` (or `sys.path`).
>>
>> With this PEP there can be a chain of ref files in between the currently
>> available path and a module's __file__.  Having access to that list of ref
>> files is important in order to determine why one file was selected over
>> another as the origin for the module.  When an unexpected file gets used
>> for one of your imports, you'll care about this!
>>
>> In order to facilitate that, modules will have a new attribute:
>> `__indirect__`.  It will be a tuple comprised of the chain of ref files, in
>> order, used to locate the module's __file__.  An empty tuple or with one
>> item will be the most common case.  An empty tuple indicates that no ref
>> files were used to locate the module.
>>

> This complicates things even further. How are you going to pass this info
> along a call chain through find_loader()? Are we going to have to add
> find_loader3() to support this (nasty side-effect of using tuples instead
> of types.SimpleNamespace for the return value)? Some magic second value or
> type from find_loader() which flags the values in the iterable are from a
> .ref file and not any other possible place? This requires an API change and
> there isn't any mention of how that would look or work.

This is the big open question in my mind.  I suppose having find_loader()
return a SimpleNamespace would help.  Then the indirect path we aggregate
in find_loader() could be passed as a new argument to loaders (when
instantiated in either FileFinder.find_loader() or in
PathFinder.find_module().

Here are the options I see, some more realistic than others:

1. Build __indirect__ after the fact (in init_module_attrs()?).
2. Change FileFinder.find_loader() to return a types.SimpleNamespace
instance.
3. Change FileFinder.find_loader() to return a namedtuple subclass with an
extra "loader" attribute.
4. Piggy-back the indirect path on the loader returned by
FileFinder.find_loader() in an "_indirect" attribute (or in the loader spot
in the case of namespace packages).
5. Something along the lines of Nick's IndirectReference.
6. Wrap the loader in a proxy that also sets __indirect__ when
load_module() is called.
7. Totally refactor the import system so that ModuleSpec objects are passed
to metapath finders rather than (name, path) and simply store the indirect
path on the spec (which is used directly to load the module rather than the
loader).

4 feels too much like a hack, particularly when we have other options.  7
would need a PEP of its own (forthcoming <wink>).

I see 2 as the best one.  Is it really too late to change the return type
of FileFinder.find_loader()? If we simply can't bear the backward
compatibility risk (no matter how small <wink>), I'd advocate for one of 1,
3, 5, or 6.

I haven't looked closely at what it would take, but I have a feeling that 1
would be more tricky than the others.  3, 5, and 6 would work, but at the
cost of increased complexity and all that it entails.

>> Examples
>> --------
>>
>> XXX are these useful?
>>

> Yes if you change this to pip or setuptools and and also make it so it
> shows how you could point to version-specific distributions.

Good point.  I'll change these to have a more practical focus.

>> Top-level module (`import spam`)::
>>
>>   ~/venvs/ham/python/site-packages/
>>       spam.ref
>>
>>   spam.ref:
>>       # use the system installed module
>>       /python/site-packages
>>
>>   /python/site-packages:
>>       spam.py
>>
>>   spam.__file__:
>>       "/python/site-packages/spam.py"
>>
>>   spam.__indirect__:
>>       ("~/venvs/ham/python/site-packages/spam.ref",)
>>
>> Submodule (`python -m myproject.tests`)::
>>
>>   ~/myproject/
>>       setup.py
>>       tests/
>>           __init__.py
>>           __main__.py
>>       myproject/
>>           __init__.py
>>           tests.ref
>>
>>   tests.ref:
>>       ../
>>
>>   myproject.__indirect__:
>>       ()
>>
>>   myproject.tests.__file__:
>>       "~/myproject/tests/__init__.py"
>>
>>   myproject.tests.__indirect__:
>>       ("~/myproject/myproject/tests.ref",)
>>
>> Multiple Path Entries::
>>
>>   myproj/
>>       __init__.py
>>       mod.ref
>>
>>   mod.ref:
>>       # fall back to the old one
>>       /python/site-packages/mod-new/
>>       /python/site-packages/mod-old/
>>
>>   /python/site-packages/
>>       mod-old/
>>           mod.py
>>
>>   myproj.mod.__file__:
>>       "/python/site-packages/mod-old/mod.py"
>>
>>   myproj.mod.__indirect__:
>>       ("myproj/mod.ref",)
>>
>> Chained Ref Files::
>>
>>   venvs/ham/python/site-packages/
>>       spam.ref
>>
>>   venvs/ham/python/site-packages/spam.ref:
>>       # use the system installed module
>>       /python/site-packages
>>
>>   /python/site-packages/
>>       spam.ref
>>
>>   /python/site-packages/spam.ref:
>>       # use the clone
>>       ~/clones/myproj/
>>
>>   ~/clones/myproj/
>>       spam.py
>>
>>   spam.__file__:
>>       "~/clones/myproj/spam.py"
>>
>>   spam.__indirect__:
>>       ("venvs/ham/python/site-packages/spam.ref",
>> "/python/site-packages/spam.ref")
>>
>> Reference Implementation
>> ------------------------
>>
>> A reference implementation is available at <TBD>.
>>
>> XXX double-check zipimport support
>>

>> Deprecation of .pth Files
>> =============================
>>
>> The `site` module facilitates the composition of `sys.path`.  As part of
>> that, `.pth` files are processed and entries added to `sys.path`.  Ref
>> files are intended as a replacement.
>>
>> XXX also deprecate .pkg files (see pkgutil.extend_path())?
>>
>> Consequently, `.pth` files will be deprecated.
>>

> Link to "Existing Alternatives" discussion as to why this deprecation is
> desired.

Sounds good.

>> Deprecation Schedule
>> -------------------------
>>
>> 1. documented: 3.4,
>> 2. warnings: 3.5 and 3.6,
>> 3. removal: 3.7
>>
>> XXX Deprecate sooner?
>>

>> Existing Alternatives
>> =================
>>
>> .pth Files
>> ----------
>>
>> `*.pth` files have the problem that they're global: if you add them to
>> `site-packages`, they will be processed at startup by *every* Python
>> application run using that Python installation.
>>

> "... thanks to them being processed by the site module instead of by the
> import system and individual finders."

Okay.

>> This is an undesirable side effect of the way `*.pth` processing is
>> defined, but can't be changed due to backwards compatibility issues.
>>
>> Furthermore, `*.pth` files are processed at interpreter startup...
>>

> That's a moot point; .ref files can be as well if they are triggered as
> part of an import.

Nick covered this pretty well.  I will update the PEP to make this more
clear.

> A bigger concern is that they execute arbitrary Python code which could be
> viewed as an unexpected security risk. Some might complain about the
> difficulty then of loading non-standard importers, but that really should
> be the duty of the code  performing the import and not the distribution
> itself; IOW I would argue that it is up to the user to get things in line
> to use a distribution in the format they choose to use it instead of the
> distribution dictating how it should be bundled.

Yeah, this is definitely a big selling point for getting rid of .pth.

On Sat, Jul 20, 2013 at 1:32 AM, Nick Coghlan <ncoghlan at gmail.com> wrote:
> We should also note that, unlike *.pth files, *.ref files would work
> even with the "-S" switch, since they don't rely on the site module
> making additions to sys.path.

Good point.  I'll add a note.

-eric