[Import-SIG] making it feasible to rely on loaders for reading intra-package data files

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 5 23:58:23 CET 2014

That's a very fair point - when I dove into pkg_resources I was interested
in the WorkingSet issues affecting Beaker, so my comments about complexity
are better read as referring specifically to pkg_resources.WorkingSet and
the other components related to multi-version support, rather than the
resource access API. (And in the context of Chandler as an integrated
application and there being no "default" version of packages already on
sys.path, pkg_resources.WorkingSet works fine - problems only arise because
Fedora *does* bless one version as default, puts it directly on sys.path,
and then the first pkg_resources import in an application locks all of
those default versions in as the expected versions if you don't arrange to
set __main__.__requires__ first, which then doesn't play well with entry
point based script wrappers)

So extracting just the resource API to add to pkgutil sounds like a good
idea to me, and should be a lot simpler than trying to tackle WorkingSet.

Cheers,
Nick.