[Import-SIG] [Distutils] nspkg.pth files break $PYTHONPATH overrides

PJ Eby pje at telecommunity.com
Thu Mar 27 19:35:55 CET 2014

On Wed, Mar 26, 2014 at 11:55 PM, Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com>wrote:

> In 3.4 it's called _NamespaceLoader, but in 3.3 it's NamespaceLoader.
> <ducks>

Ouch. That is going to be a really *long* bit of code.  Not like it isn't
already, though.

By "available on the platform" do you mean "Python 3.3+ or has a
> backport installed"?  Otherwise you'd just check sys.version*.

I just hate doing version checks when a feature check ought to be
possible.  You never know when it's going to cause trouble.

But yes, certainly being able to handle the backport case would be nice.
When I wrote PEP 402, I was thinking in terms of transitioning the .pth
files to importing a compatibility module.