[Import-SIG] Proto-PEP: Redesigning extension module loading

Nick Coghlan ncoghlan at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 13:40:55 CET 2015

On 25 February 2015 at 07:49, Petr Viktorin <encukou at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 23, 2015 at 4:16 PM, Brett Cannon <brett at python.org> wrote:
>> I mostly have grammar/typo comments and one suggestion to minimize the
>> number of ways of initializing a module by not letting PyModuleCreate_* do
>> that step on its own.
>
> Thanks for the corrections! Lesson learned, I'll use a spell checker next time.

>>> The PyModuleCreate function
>>> ---------------------------
>>>
>>> This PyModuleCreate function is used to implement "loader.create_module"
>>> defined in PEP 451.
>>>
>>> By exporting the "PyModuleCreate_modulename" symbol, an extension module
>>> indicates that it uses a custom module object.
>>>
>>> This prevents loading the extension in a pre-created module,
>>> but gives greater flexibility in allowing a custom C-level layout
>>> of the module object.
>>>
>>> The "module_spec" argument receives a "ModuleSpec" instance, as defined in
>>> PEP 451.
>>>
>>> When called, this function must create and return a module object.
>>>
>>> If "PyModuleExec_module" is undefined, this function must also initialize
>>> the module; see PyModuleExec_module for details on initialization.
>>

>> Why conflate module creation with initialization? If one is going to have
>> initialization code then it can't be difficult to factor out into a
>> PyModuleExec_* function, so I don't see a good reason to support only
>> defining PyModuleCreate_*.
>
> Right. Originally, to me, Exec seemed to not be very useful when
> Create is specified, because reload support for extension modules
> isn't very useful (unless you're Cython and want to emulate Python
> modules as well as possible). But given the fact that you can't safely
> call user code from Create, it does make sense to always require Exec,
> so people aren't tempted to take shortcuts.
>
> It does stretch the __new__/__init__ parallel Nick mentioned. But
> while that parallel was is a good stepping stone to get to this
> design, I don't think it is too useful for explaining how the design
> works.
> I feel that people who know what __new__ can do and why it is
> necessary should have no problem understanding a module creation hook
> without relating to classes. Classes make me think about inheritance,
> which doesn't apply here. Most __init__s don't register methods or
> class constants, but Exec should add functions and module globals.
>
> So I plan to drop the Create-only option, and to not mention the
> __new__/__init__ parallel.
> Nick, does that sound reasonable to you?

Yes, it does, especially since in that case:

1. The boilerplate probably won't be boilerplate, since it lets you
run code after the import system has finished initialising the module
globals
2. Even if it *is* boilerplate, it's really trivial boilerplate (and
you have a very weird extension module)

>>> We should expose some kind of API in importlib.util (or a better place?)
>>> that
>>> can be used to check that a module works with reloading and
>>> subinterpreters.
>>

>> What would such an API actually check to verify that a module could be
>> reloaded?
>
> Obviously we can't check for static state or object leakage between
> subinterpreters.
> By using the new API, you promise that the extension does support
> reloading and subinterpreters. This will be prominently stated in the
> docs, and checked by this function.
> For the old API, PyModule_Create with m_size>=0 can be used to support
> subinterpreters. But I don't think the language in the docs is strong
> enough to say that m_size>=0 is a promise of such support.

Ah, I wasn't clear in terms of "check" or "test" when I mentioned this
- I was literally referring to something that could be run in test
suites to try these things and see if they worked or not, rather than
to a runtime "can I reload this safely?" check. "Try it and see" is
likely to be a better approach to take there.

Cheers,
Nick.