[Import-SIG] Bundling importlib2 with Python 2.7.x?

Donald Stufft donald at stufft.io
Mon Jul 6 18:10:27 CEST 2015

On July 6, 2015 at 11:57:59 AM, Erik Bray (erik.m.bray at gmail.com) wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 5, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:

> >> If you’re already installing a third party module, isn’t installing
> >> a second third party module a pretty small amount of additional work?
> >>
> >> IOW, bundling pip made sense because of the bootstrapping problems,
> >> but once you have pip, directing people to depend on importlib2 isn’t
> >> very hard if they’re already installing hypotheticalthingthatwoulduseit?
> >
> > Aye, a docs-only approach could work, and would definitely be easier
> > to maintain. It may just be a matter of pushing in that direction on
> > the PyPA side of things, by considering "requires importlib2 on Python
> > 2.7" to be a reasonable requirement for getting some kinds of
> > operations to work smoothly.
>
> I'm not exactly sure I follow--the types of operations we're talking
> about involve installation of packages, and I can't go telling users
> "you have to install importlib2 in order for installation of these
> packages to not hose up your system" when they're installing
> distributions that have namespace packages.
>
> I think that this issue affects more than just `./setup.py develop` /
> `pip install --editable`. It also affects installation of namespace
> packages with or without --single-version-externally-managed (that is
> as eggs or not). Having importlib2 to natively support new-style
> namespace packages would be a boon, and pulling it in along with pip
> seems like it would be straightforward to support.
>
> Alternatively I would argue to just include it with setuptools.
>
> Erik

If you’re installing using an actual package manager like pip,
easy_install, apt-get, yum, whatever the instructions won’t change.
You’ll need to ``pip install foo.bar`` and the fact it depends on
importlib2 is something the installer takes care of.

You’d need to tell anyone who is using implicit namespace packages
that they need to depend on importlib2 on Python 2, and you’d need
to tell anyone doing a “manual” installation (e.g. they download a
tarball from PyPI and install it manually) to get importlib2.

---
Donald Stufft