[Import-SIG] PEP 489: Redesigning extension module loading

Petr Viktorin encukou at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 13:30:34 CET 2015

On 03/21/2015 12:37 PM, Nick Coghlan wrote:
> /me dredges up some dim dark history regarding the evolution of the
> "-m" implementation :)
>
> On 21 March 2015 at 20:30, Petr Viktorin <encukou at gmail.com> wrote:
>> The idea of extending ModuleDef brings me back to the runpy problem. I don't
>> think it's actually necessary for "-m" to mean "exec the module in an object
>> named "__main__". Let's provide a slot for a main function, and have runpy
>> call that.
>> This would mean in Cython modules the "if __name__ == "__main__" hack won't
>> work, ever (as opposed to that being a bug this PEP can help fix). Is that
>> an acceptable loss?
>
> runpy lets you set "__name__" to whatever you like, so triggering "if
> __name__ ..." blocks isn't the problem - it's playing nice with other
> code that assumes __main__ is a true singleton module that lasts the
> entire lifecycle of the process (or at least from PyInit to
> PyFinalize)
>
>> (Maybe my next PEP should be letting Python modules define a
>> __main__function, and slowly deprecating the things runpy needs to do.)
>
> One thing about __main__ that makes it genuinely special is that it's
> the namespace that the interpreter drops you into as a result of
> passing -i at the command line or setting PYTHONINSPECT=1 in the
> environment (either beforehand or while the application is running).
>
> Earlier runpy based implementations of -m broke that by running the
> code in a separate namespace rather than in the actual builtin
> __main__ module, while later implementations fixed it by using the
> real __main__ to run the code.

I see. Thanks for the write-up.
It seems that if runpy knew the ModuleDef for __main__ (and the
ModuleDef didn't define a custom Create slot), it could look at m_size
and allocate md_state appropriately. Then the module object itself
wouldn't change, but the C storage would be available when Exec is called.

Does anything that would prevent this come to mind?