[Import-SIG] an old idea: getting rid of __init__.py

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Sun May 3 00:41:07 CEST 2015

On Sat, 2 May 2015 16:22:31 -0600
Eric Snow <ericsnowcurrently at gmail.com> wrote:
> When namespace packages were under discussion I remember we were
> seriously considering eliminating the requirement of __init__.py for
> *all* packages.  Well, I stumbled onto the following post from Guido
> predating namespace packages by several years:

Well, I've already been bitten by Python mistaking a directory for a
"namespace package", just because of its simple existence. I wouldn't
want things to get any more annoying.

The argument that __init__.py is confusing to beginners is a bit
arbitrary; not requiring any __init__.py makes for situations that are
just as confusing.

Regards

Antoine.