[Import-SIG] PEP 489: Multi-phase extension module initialization; version 5

Antoine Pitrou solipsis at pitrou.net
Mon May 18 19:42:02 CEST 2015

On Mon, 18 May 2015 19:35:57 +0200
Petr Viktorin <encukou at gmail.com> wrote:

> Correct. This is not the PEP you're looking for.
>
> Originally we did want to solve this problem, and I guess wording that
> suggests it's solved might still be around. Is that the case? Should I
> clarify that the problem is not yet solved?

The following wording in the PEP:

"""This PEP proposes a redesign of the way in which built-in and
extension modules interact with the import machinery. This was last
revised for Python 3.0 in PEP 3121 , but did not solve all problems at
the time. The goal is to solve them by bringing extension modules
closer to the way Python modules behave; specifically to hook into the
ModuleSpec-based loading mechanism introduced in PEP 451 ."""

suggests that it will indeed help overcome the issues with PEP 3121. It
turns out it doesn't, except in one specific case (i.e. Cython).

Regards

Antoine.