[Inpycon] Opinions needed : Sponsorship requrements

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Tue Aug 11 19:32:06 CEST 2009

It's well known and accepted practice for conferences in India, that
delegate addresses are often shared with sponsors. I am not sure about the
FOSS.in and similar conferences, but commercial conferences this is an
accepted norm.

I think you must go ahead and sign in the sponsorship if its worthwhile,
however you must explore whether this is an accepted practice for official
Pycons at other places

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:44:51 +0530
> Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Hello everyone,
> >    We had some inputs from a potential sponsor who wants a list
> > of the registration details of all the delegates. We don't
> > officially have a privacy policy on the website but (atleast my)
> > general idea is that these details are private.
> >
> >    The chap in question has promised not to spam them or misuse
> > the details and since this is a reputed company, I think that
> > they'll be worth their word. They claim that they ask for this
> > information for all the conferences which they sponsor.
>
> Could you ask them to clarify what they will do with the
> addresses, and also ask whether they are willing to provide
> a privacy policy in writing? With all due respect to the
> company in question, this sounds fishy.
>
> >    Do you folks think that this is an acceptable way to go?
> [...]
>
> Since I have put in no effort for this conference, you can take
> my opinion for what it is worth, but I would be very much opposed
> to allowing sponsors access to delegate lists for a community
> conference. So much so that I would not normally attend a
> conference where I was aware that such a policy was in effect.
>
> Regards,
> Gora

Ramdas S
+91 9342 583 065