[Inpycon] PyCon Website

Vivek Khurana hiddenharmony at gmail.com
Mon May 25 19:23:21 CEST 2009

On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 7:57 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello everyone,
>  We have two sites now. One of the them is in.pycon.org which is
> currently a placeholder and will become our 'official' site.
>
>  The second is a registration application used by Kenneth for an
> earlier conference. It's got facilities to take care of some aspects
> of a conference. A test installation is running on
> http://www.greenchilly.in/. Please take a look and send in feedback.
> If anyone is volunteering to admin the site during these months,
> please register and mail back and we can add admin privileges for you
> to check out.

 I can admin the site. I have used greenchilly.in and find the registration
system decent to start with.

>  Once the details of whether the application is sufficient or whether
> we need a CMS is decided, we'll put everything together and start on
> the publicity.

 What features so we need in the CMS ? I have a simple CMS written on top of
cherrypy which we use for internal use, basically something tht lets you
create pages witht a wysiswyg editor and mount the pages on required url. If
you guys want additional features I can spare a developer from my team for 2
weeks or so to work on adding feature...

>  It came up on multiple occassions that a simple way to take care of
> organising content on the site is to have is as a wiki. what's the
> opinion on that?

What I have noticed after organizing couple of events, is that look and feel
of the site matters and wikis just dont provide you the richness that you
need to attract audience (no falmes please). Instead of a wiki I will prefer
static HTMl pages with a decent look and feel.

regards
Vivek