[Inpycon] Website evaluation

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Fri May 29 09:28:09 CEST 2009

On Friday 29 May 2009 12:32:49 Anand Chitipothu wrote:
> Here is my feedback about the site.
>
> # Registration
>
> * Asking for first name and last name, assuming the first name is
> initial and displaying it as LastName FirstName are very confusing.
> Why not just ask for fullname and display it as the use enters it.

We are sorting on lastname - seems to be a convention, so would like it
separate. Firstname is not compulsory. Anyway, it is no big deal. If enough
people want it changed it can be done.

> * issues with 3-step registration
>
> 1. step1 asks for username and email and asks the user to fill the
> details later.
> 2. step2 requires the user to click on the confirmation mail and enter
> username (why again?) and pick password.
> 3. and then step 3 asks the user to enter first name and last name.
>
> Wouldn't it be better if fullname of the user and password are asked
> in the step 1 and step 2 just says, "your registation is confirmed"?

this is done to confuse the forces of evil (spammers). It is either this way
or using captchas - I hate captchas because my eyesight is not too good and I
always enter them wrong. MoinMoin uses the scheme you are suggesting, but a
lot of chinese spam gets through that. So this is a wontfix

> # Adding talks
>
> adding task crashes when no slides are attached.

that is fixed

> # questions?
>
> * Is early-bird registration is same as user registration?

we record the date that the user registers and the date when she fills in her
profile and becomes a delegate. So those who register before the cut off date
are early birds. They just need to take a printout of their profile and present
it for a discount. Or just mention their name at the counter and we can check.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves