[Inpycon] Conference administration and website administration

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Fri May 29 13:07:06 CEST 2009

Hi,

now that the choice of website and logo has been made, we are ready to roll.
First let's define responsibilities:

1. Maintaining and updating the website will be done by the fossconf-devel
team. Currently the active members are me, allround maintainence and general
dogsbody, Theju - rocket scientist for the tricky bits and Sree for design.
Anyone else willing to join are welcome to mail me offlist. We will attempt to
accommodate all reasonable feature and change requests and will even go the
extra mile to try and fulfil unreasonable requests. But the final decision on
website features will be by us. At times we will mark some request as wontfix.
This is because endless debate on some things obstructs the work. You are
requested to respect our decisions in these matters.

2. Administering the website will be done by those selected to do this. They
will be given admin rights. Noufal will determine who gets admin rights and to
what extent they have the rights. Our team will just implement this. Apart
from me, one or more people will also have superuser rights. Again this is
Noufal's call.

3. The immediate tasks are:

a. Decide talk classification - like 'Talk one hour', 'Tutorial two hours' etc.
This is flexible and can be changed any time by the admins.

b. Draft call for participation, call for papers and call for sponsors. These
three may be finalised on the wiki and then put up as static pages.

c. Put up a static page on how to use the website (our team will do this)

4. To make things easy for the admins, both static pages and posts have
tiny_mce enabled. Please do not start a discussion on this, it is wontfix ;-)

5. Email - I can configure smtp and imap to send/receive mails from the
in.pycon.org domain, but it is up to the admins to decide whether to use these
ids or to use their own. Either way is ok.

6. Backup site. It is necessary to have a backup site on another server
mirroring the main site which should be ready to go if anything happens to the
main site. Any volunteers for this?

Please also note that the conference software is an opensource project and as
such, there will *never* be a final version. It will be developing right upto
the end of the conference. So it is never too late for a feature request.

I hope I do not sound too bossy above - if so, remember it is for a good
cause.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves