[Inpycon] menus and superfluous details while adding talks

VidA vid at svaksha.com
Sat May 30 08:15:11 CEST 2009

On Sat, May 30, 2009 at 11:15, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> any registered user can add a talk (actually means propose a talk). Since
> there may be multispeaker talks, the facility of adding other speakers is

as in, if 2 people want to present a single talk. Ok.

> there. If you add a talk you *must* select your own name as a speaker and have
> the option of adding names of others too.

ok, but this is still confusing as its not clear what one is supposed
to do. The dark blue colour makes it seem like all the names listed
are selected.  that usability aspect is the confusing part.
Maybe you could have a small note "select your name here" to explain this.

OR just keep the field empty and keep a note: If more than one person
is presenting this talk, please list them all as in this Example.
"$name1, $name2,...".  What if the list grows to say a 100 people
which makes crawling through it cumbersome.

>> 2. Add/Edit volunteer : I see this in the menu after logging in. Is
>> this available for all (If so it should not be) or only admins to
>> edit?
>
> anyone can volunteer. If one volunteers, one can then edit one's details.

volunteer for what? that is not clear. If this is empty most folks
will not know what tasks organisers need help with. Also if user lists
his/her skills there how will you track it as an organiser? I am
assuming you intend to sort this manually.

Instead I'd suggest having a "HELP US" section which can list the
activities that need help. This will make it easy for the organisers
to track TODO tasks. Ideally after logging in one should be able to go
there, click on the "i volunteer" button next to foo-task listed there
and the system automatically generates availability of 'X' volunteers
for 'FOO' task who could probably be mailed or just grouped together.

If the suggestion needs too much coding work feel free to ignore it :)
--
thanks
|| vid || http://www.svaksha.com ||