[Inpycon] [PSF-Members] [x-post] Register 'Pycon-India' or 'Python-India'?

Trevor Toenjes ttoenjes at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 17:49:16 CEST 2009

Hi vid,
There is PSF discussions about supporting the creation of a "Python
Software Foundation" extension in each country to allow for in-country
Pythoners to deal with non-profit tax and financial issues.  However,
the specifics of the naming hasnt been discussed, AFIK.  But for
simplicity, it seems using "Python Software Foundation India ..." would
be appropriate.  And the current PSF members residing in India should be
part of it.

The PSF is the legal entity in the US, and PyCon is one of the many
activities.  If the pythoners in India want to do more than just the
conference, then I think the "Python Software Foundation" would be a
welcome way to go to start unifying everyone's efforts.
Furthermore, if you approach it as the India affiliate of the PSF, then
I think you can accomplish more, long-term to promote Python in India.
It should also facilitate the sharing of funds and efforts across
financial borders and help with the overall PSF mission to support the
Python community worldwide.

I would feel more comfortable if the PSF board offered resources and
guidance on this issue.
But my vote would be to get into serious discussions with the PSF board
on how to setup an affiliate organization.

-Trevor