[Inpycon] [PSF-Members] [x-post] Register 'Pycon-India' or 'Python-India'?

Stephan Deibel (PSF) sdeibel at python.org
Wed Oct 14 18:27:01 CEST 2009

Trevor Toenjes wrote:
> The PSF is the legal entity in the US, and PyCon is one of the many
> activities.

Of possible relevance for the folks in India:  Note that the PSF in
the US holds the intellectual property rights behind Python and since
our recent significant losses from last year's PyCon there's been some
talk of splitting off an organization that runs PyCon or coming up
with some other mechanism for protecting the PSF from being bankrupted
by a failed PyCon.

I've no idea how this will play out, but it could change how things
are arranged on our end.

That said, I for one don't think the PSF should be telling other
organizations what to name themselves as naming will to some extent
be impacted by what sounds good in the native language.  Also, using
the word "Python" to describe your use/promotion/etc of Python is
protected by nominative use rules for trademarks.  Details are at:

http://www.python.org/psf/trademarks/

There is a potential issue if you want to be blessed as "the official
PSF-affiliated" organization in India (or something like that) or if
you plan to use "Python Software Foundation" in the name.  We probably
do want to come up with ways to have sister organizations around the
world, but this also hasn't been done yet and the details of how it
will be done are unclear.  I'd say forge ahead and keep in touch so
that there can be communication about this in the future.

Also related:  There's been much discussion of "diversity" in the PSF.
I suspect there's a lot of activity in India that we're just not in
touch with, and that there may be people that should eventually become
PSF members.  Somehow we should try to keep that in mind collectively
and figure out how to get appropriate people into the nomination process.

--

Stephan Deibel
Member

http://python.org/psf