[Inpycon] [PSF-Members] [x-post] Register 'Pycon-India' or 'Python-India'?

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 19:38:08 CEST 2009

Hello everyone,
   My general understanding so far has been that except for the issue
of trademarks, copyrights and such things, it's pretty much upto us to
decide what we want to call this 'society'' that we're trying to set
up. Correct me if I'm wrong here.

   Our initial idea of registering a society was *purely* to open a
bank account so that we needn't rely on a 3rd party or a single
individual to handle sponsorship money. In that sense, this would be a
"India PyCon foundation" or something just to help with PyCon's
throughout India.

   From the thread so far, here are the points I could glean
   - We need to make this organisation tax exempt so that people can
contribute money to it.
   - It's not a self sustaining organisation (ie. we are not
particularly concerned about bankruptcy etc.). We just need to keep
this going so that when we need a legal entity, we have one.
   - I don't think there is any formal relationship to the PSF. It
just so happens that we're both interested in and promoting Python.
   - The "chapter" approach might involve legal complications and I
don't know what demons await us there.
   - The actual *name* is not as much of an issue as what we plan to
use it for (promoting python/as a tool to handle funds for pycon).

  Anyway, like all things, I'm going to go out and get some stuff
done. Atleast talk to a lawyer about some of the details. I'll post
back with my findings and we can discuss it for a day or two. Then,
we'll incorporate. I'll keep you guys of the PSF posted.

Thanks.

--
~noufal