[Inpycon] [PSF-Members] [x-post] Register 'Pycon-India' or 'Python-India'?

kirby urner kirby.urner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 14 20:45:45 CEST 2009

Re Python in India:

<rant>

Just a somewhat off-topic addendum that I envision future spawning of
Pythonic entities will involve more talk of servers, access protocols,
wikis, shared aesthetics, web framework, unicode languages,
translations -- combined with eCommercial stuff having to do with gift
shops and ticketed events.  The global bank in the background might
all be defined using open source software (Postgres etc.).

In principle, engineers know how to define objects and entities
without recourse to legalese.

In my book, lawyers are what I call "slow engineers" i.e. they traffic
in crufty non-executable languages, full of holes, often in a
shambles.

I am not especially respectful of legalese, from the standpoint of
engineering.  That new generations just swallow it without question is
of course symptomatic of their ignorance and laziness.

The more we sound like Python programmers and the less we sound like
lawyers the better IMO.

India has the deeply unfortunate legacy of having been in the UK's
orb, a legalistic culture of a backward nature that typifies
everything wrong with "the law".  My condolences.

The USA shares this legacy to some extent and it's causing a lot of
trouble.  Politicians find themselves stuck within systems barely able
to operate.  There's precious little version control.

I'm glad we're finally moving on to a more rational system of business
and social network management wherein lawyers will be far less in
demand, programmers more so.

Civilization needs to reach a next level and overcoming tired legalese
is a big part of what that looks like.

Spoken like a true pirate,

</rant>

Kirby Urner