[Inpycon] [PSF-Members] [x-post] Register 'Pycon-India' or 'Python-India'?

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Thu Oct 15 08:20:10 CEST 2009

since there are so many threads here, I am doing a blank TOFU post without
apologies ;-)

The issue is: pycon india or PSF india. The reason for the emergence of the
issue is the success of pycon India 2009. The reason for that success was the
minimalist approach we followed - we did not attempt to chew what we could not
bite - we set realistic goals and achieved them. Now, as happened with
linux.conf.au, we have some excess funds and we need an entity to administer
the same. Using these funds and the entity created we hope to have a bigger,
better Indian Pycon 2010. That is where we are today.

We also might have a long term goal of becoming a wing of PSF for India - but
that is long term and even the PSF has no clear idea of what that implies. But
among other things it implies setting up something more than a lightweight
society - more a sec25 company with all the expense and paperwork that
requires. It also implies creating various classes of members - funding
members, life members, patron members, ordinary members, student members -
some of these have votes, others do not. I see that many of the funding
members of PSF have their representative institutions in this country - I am
sure they would expect to be consulted in this process. I feel that at the
most, we can have a sort of preparatory committee formed to explore the
process of founding a PSF India. Nothing more. Perhaps among the preliminary
activities would be to identify people worthy of becoming members of PSF
itself from India (and who have the time to spare) - which would help in this
endeavour.

One thing we must remember that this is India - we are at a stage where
introducing people to python is the main agenda. We are not at the stage where
we can say: all attendees of the conference use python so let us talk of
community. We *do* have enough traction to keep organising annual conferences,
but I seriously doubt whether we have enough people with enough time,
commitment and maturity to run a Python Foundation. I suspect that, for the
main members of this at least, it would be pretty much a full time activity.
We can dream of this, work for it, but right now lets stick to creating a
minimal entity for handling the funds for the next conference.
--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves