[Inpycon] volunteers needed

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Tue Apr 6 13:24:44 CEST 2010

On Tuesday 06 Apr 2010 4:40:50 pm Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> Is this all needed? Why don't we keep it simple that this society is
> just for holding money in the account. Let the python jobs etc be
> managed by the python.org website itself. There is  list for
> conference too.

well, I am being minimalistic. A society has to be recognised if it is to have
a bank account. So it needs certain basic things - publicly available
documents, members list, office bearers list, minimal number of members,
regularly conducted committee meetings with proper minutes, AGM done every
year on time. These things will not happen by themselves. There has to be some
number of ordinary members and corporate/institutional members else the
society will die. Also we need to show some activity in order to get 80G
exemption - otherwise we will be paying tax on donations and sponsorships. I
would say that to keep the society alive we would need some 50-100 members and
maybe 4-5 institutional/corporate members.

> While I appreciate the details you are going into, I wish we do
> something minimalistic that would keep us going and concentrate on
> small things while we let our friends (PSF) who are already doing the
> other work carry on with what they are doing (conference lists, jobs
> board, etc etc).

well this was a suggestion from a member - *I* am just concentrating on what
needs to be done to keep the society from being derecognised. If others come
forward to do extras it is fine. I agree that lot of societies 'get by' with
doing practically nothing - and in my days as a lawyer I have earned a lot of
money replying to departmental show cause notices as to why the society should
not be derecognised.

--
regards
Kenneth Gonsalves