[Inpycon] Venue Finalization {was} PyCon 2010 - Let's get started

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 11:06:53 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 2:21 PM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 1:49 PM, Shashwat Anand <anand.shashwat at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> +1 for hotel, it'll give the conference a professional look
>>

>> Hotel will cost between Rs 1300 and Rs 2500 per person per day. taxes
>> extra
>>
> Chennai may be a bit cheaper. I am sure we can knockdown the costs too.
>
>> If we have 350 delegates like last time for a two day event plan for Rs 8
>> to 15 L budgets. That only cover the costs of the venue, and we'll have
>> other costs too.
>>

> Unless we get larger commercial interests involved, you can't dream of
> such  budgets. My suggestion is look at something in between. IISC was a
> good brand name, can't you guys get IIT Chennai? Anand B, its your old alma
> mater, you may know some old professor there, and connect them to Kausik and
> gang.
>
> Note I am not against hotels, but who will go out and sell? Why should a
> sponsor spend 5 L to sponsor the event? What will be the ROI for a sponsor?

I concur. It is too early in the life cycle of Pycon India to think about
hotels as venue. The expenditures involved are humongous and
at this stage, we can't get enough sponsorship to cover the expenses.

IIT M doesn't have good venues for holding conferences IMHO.
The Central lecture complex is the one which gets closest but
I haven't seen it being given out for outside events when I was there.
They don't have auditoriums and large halls like IISc does.
Not sure if things have changed, if someone has more recent
information correct me.

To me, the location should be central, not too far from the
Railway station and preferably have a brand name. The best
bet are Anna University campus and other engg. colleges in
the middle of the city.

Well, we need to get on this quickly and try to see if we
can arrange a decent venue. This will be a major factor in
keeping the conference in Chennai, apart from a good team
to manage things.

> --
> Ramdas S
> +91 9342 583 065