[Inpycon] Venue Finalization {was} PyCon 2010 - Let's get started

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Wed Apr 7 21:00:08 CEST 2010

> There is a lot of enterprise hype around Ruby a kind of geeky halo which
> Python doesn't have. Some of it is justified, while a lot isn't. I doubt
> if we can ever match to those figures in this years conferen

There are very few companies such as Thoughtworks which actually spends a
lot of money in ensuring there's a vibrant community there, and TW is
betting heavily on Ruby. And Thoughtworks definitely keeps a high profile
when compared with IT services houses of similar sizes in the country ( in
terms of man power). I wish they took a similar interest in Python.

See it all translates to big bucks since its enterprise software.

With all due respect to cos involved in Python, they are either way too
small or wants to keep a low profile, quite like some of the Python
developers we know, and companies who can actually pitch in big time and
help like Google doesn't have a big Python story in India.

if we need to aim at a conference of decent shape and size (forget the
hotel), but a more respectable venue like a popular auditorium in center of
the city, we need to still budget in excess of Rs 6 L, plan a bigger event,
more tracks more activity.

If that's the case we always need a sponsor who can chip in with at least
50% of the budget costs.

Ruby must be big for TW presently, and that's why they are spending hoping
that the involvement will ensure that many enterprise developers will take
up Ruby, and some of them may end up joining TW.

I know we have a few Thoughtworkers reading this, but do they see any hope
for Python inside TW, and then we can perhaps hope for a bigger share from
TW.

> Kausikram Krishnasayee
> Company: http://silverstripesoftware.com | Webpage: kausikram.net | Blog:
> blog.kausikram.net | Twitter: http://twitter.com/kausikram | Email: