[Inpycon] Venue Finalization {was} PyCon 2010 - Let's get started

Abhishek Mishra ideamonk at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 14:39:55 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 10:01 AM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> <snip>
>
> -----------
>
>> Can we look at a growth in terms of percentage over last year, and
>> continue targeting that way year over year?
>>

>> Some quantifiable targets
>> #########################
>>
>> 1) Let's say a 100% plus increase in sponsorship money ( would love
>> 200,300,400%)
>>
>> 2) Get 20% or more attendees.
>>
>> 3) Have 20-40% more number of talks
>>
>> 4) Get a couple of well known speakers
>>
>> The trick here is to find out which all prominent Python developers work
>> with companies with an interest in India or manage teams in India, and get
>> the companies to adjust their visit to coincide with India.
>>

> Similarly how can you improve the overall quality of conference. Better
> Talks, more interactive sessions. Can we have code jams?

<snip>

I think we were getting distracted by RubyConf or such other events that
might have occurred at a grander scale with corporate backing.
  Though I am someone almost alien to the Ruby world but I think Ruby did
gain great popularity majorly due to Rails and the way Rails has been
promoted. Besides Rails started in a company itself - 37signals.
  Since Rails is the back-end for some successful projects like basecamp,
github,  etc, its bound to get popular among big players once small ones
have tested, tried and shown that it works.
  I agree to starting small and growing the community and the conference
gradually in smaller sustainable steps, rather than fixing a huge milestone
and not completing it in good quality. Lets keep statistics of last year as
base and try to grow it further in all aspects as suggested by Ramdas. That
would really turn us into the direction of a stronger community.
  As for hackathons/sprint sessions, I think in Python there's a lot of room
for such events. I really loved the way a whole floor was dedicated for such
activities at FOSS.in. In our case maintainer of a package or a
core-developer or anyone really involved, could setup a small bench-camp,
get interested people together, introduce them to what, how and why's and
complete some tasks (squashing bugs, finishing some todos, adding new
features, etc).
 This would greatly help us in breaking the barrier of doubts, confusions
and lack of information that every new "possible contributor" faces these
days. In a sense InPyCon would not only result in promoting Python to
newcomers but also in adding new developers to the Python Community itself.

People say "Do one thing and do it well"... lets do it that way.

just a few thoughts,

Abhishek