[Inpycon] Venue Finalization {was} PyCon 2010 - Let's get started

स्वक्ष vid at svaksha.com
Tue Apr 20 15:13:49 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 17:53, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:
>> I'll keep this open for a few more days to see where we're heading.
>>
>> I don't like the quality of responses. There are too many that say
>> "I'm from Bangalore so it should be in Bangalore". However, Bangalore
>> is leading right now 16 to 11.
>
> polls are the worst way of deciding anything - lot of people have no other
> work than to respond to polls. I for one never vote on polls. But the people
> to decide are the people who are going to do the work.

Well, I look at it this way: Noufal took the initiative to ask for
opinions and found an easier option (a poll vs long threads on this
list?), so why not appreciate that and get the wheels rolling.

> I think that we are still going about it backwards. We are yet to decide what
> kind of conference we are going to have. What is the aim and orientation? If,
> for example, it is building up community all over India, it makes sense to
> have it in a different city every time. And it makes sense to hold it in a
> college/university which gives a readymade audience and saves us a couple of
> lakhs for venue and infrastructure.
>
> if it is a professional event to attract industry, then of course we should
> hold it in the metros only - and the metros with the most attractive climate,
> in a good hotel or convention centre, charge much more to make sure that only
> seriously committed people take part etc etc.

-1 for the Hotel. I'd vote for keeping pycon for the masses (read:
floss community/students/newbies/anyone else who is interested and
scales the python learning curve). Also, imho, its not prudent to
ignore the corporates who if sponsoring the event would have some
expectations (advertising swag, booths, potential recruits,
networking, or even showcasing their work, etc..). Why not have
parallel tracks (not too obvious and in-your-face) that accomodates
them too? Some companies may sponsor their employees too so inpycon
could probably offer the corporates a sponsorship package deal of
"talk slots+advertising" and plan accordingly. I dont see anything
wrong with that. What do others think?

Reg. moving to various cities, each year--This is possible only if
people from those cities speak up and provide more on-ground details.
We would also need to not raise the bar too much before establishing
in.pycon and smoothing out the rough edges. For 2011/12 and beyond, I
would love to pitch in and help plan ahead with folks from other
cities.

> do not forget that the US is the most advanced country in the world for this
> kind of thing and things that weigh with them - two consecutive events in one
> city, doesnt mean much to us here. There every one who attends will attend
> regardless of where in the US it is held. Here, things like distance and
> expense for travel and stay means much more. Or even getting leave to attend.

That is an assumption. The fact is, people over there feel the pinch
too. I met many US citizens who shared rooms, requested financial
assistance** from PSF, etc...OR were sponsored by their employers.
Some gave tutorials and used the money earned to finance their stay
and travel expenses. There were also many within the US who did not
attend pycon as they could not afford it.

** They published the list on the organizers list and some people were
only sponsored for the conference fees (USD300).

--
thanks and regards,
vid || http://svaksha.com