[Inpycon] Budget estimates

स्वक्ष vid at svaksha.com
Tue Apr 20 16:26:37 CEST 2010

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 16:02, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>  I have here a page that details the budget estimates for the
> conference. http://wiki.python.org/moin/PyConIndia2010/BudgetEstimates
>
>  The numbers are mostly pulled out of thin air so feel free to
> edit/discuss. Once this is clarified, we'd know how much to make from
> sponsors and what to do/where to go. Let' get this over within a week
> and start off with the heavy lifting from next week.

Some suggestions:

0. Offer corporates various packages for sponsoring the event. It
could be slab rates for "advertising/swag+booths", or "booths for
recruitment+talks". Companies sending employees to showcase their work
could be charged delegate fees+ talk slots besides sponsorship.

1. Registration fees: Keep 3-tiers slab rates. One for students. Two,
for speakers and project contributors and Third for corporate
delegates.
For students, by increasing the registration fee to anything beyond
"200-250INR per head" we are risking non-attendance. For example, a
MAA-BLR via the Brindavan express would only cost a student from
Chennai 150 bucks. Double it for return journey. Why would a student
or even an employed person shell out 2000 bucks?  Even if I agree with
Kenneth that "200-300 is low" l honestly dont think INR 2000 per head
is a workable suggestion even for folks who rake in the moolah. From
an employee perspective, for people who are not from Bangalore
"registration" is not the only expense. They would have to cover hotel
expenses, travel cost, and other incidental expenses. This holds true
when you move to any other metro --For example, if in.pycon moves to
Delhi or Mumbai or elsewhere, factor in the travel time by train vs
air vs the cost in terms of leave from work, hence lost earnings. Add
in other expenses mentioned above and the price rises. Something to
think about before we etch things in stone.

2. For 2010, getting speakers from outside India eats up 25% of the
budget estimates. Do we know for sure if these two speakers will pull
in the crowds and increase attendees beyond the budgeted 500 people?

3.  At pycon, there was one hall with folks selling wares, swag,
books, etc... during the conference. I am not sure how this would
tie-in with the venue or if it is permitted at all. If yes, we can try
asking AirTel to provide wifi in exchange for a booth selling pre-paid
cards or talktime?

--
thanks and regards,
vid || http://svaksha.com