[Inpycon] Venue Finalization {was} PyCon 2010 - Let's get started

Senthil Kumaran orsenthil at gmail.com
Tue Apr 20 20:40:45 CEST 2010

Hey Kausikram and Kenneth,

It is just simple. I think, you guys wanted to take it forward this
year. So, please do it. Let us not discuss it back and forth, does not
achieve any purpose.

Polls does not help. Please, put up a poll with two different colleges
in chennai, And you will still see good number of respondents giving
their preference.

And Noufal: I have not been following the list for a while, So I do
not know as why the venue discussion has come again. But you sure
know that decision has to be taken by individual (or a select group of
individuals) and it has to be stood firm. So, I was think that we are
firm in that Chennai will have it this year and we all from Bangalore
will be going to present there. :)

Anyways, we can sort this out quickly and inform us all about the
details, A rough plan might have to be drawn by a select few (1 or 2
or 3 ) and discussed further.

Also, Chennai being closer to Bangalore (or vice-versa), it does not
make much difference IMO. I would have really cared, if it were in say
New Delhi or say Mumbai.

--
Senthil

On Tue, Apr 20, 2010 at 11:31:05PM +0530, kausikram krishnasayee wrote:
> okay the long awaited response from the Chennai team and my arguments for it in
> no particular order,
>
> 1) The enthusiasm did not die down. we just put it in temporary abeyance,
> because we felt that the society matter had to be sorted first. thats the
> reason for the long silence. There are lots of people ready to contribute. last
> week at barcamp i met atleast 4 people who came to me and asked why there was
> silence in the lists, and who were ready to take the grunt of the fieldwork.
> Also, the silence in the ChennaiPy group does not directly imply a dormant
> group. as Kenneth put it, bangpypers has become a trans-india group and people
> prefer posting to / replying to it than their local UG. its a complicated
> cycle. more people post to bangpypers because there are more people on it and
> more people join bangpypers because there are more posts on it.
>
> 2) I am not convinced with the "majority people required in the ground team" to
> run around concept. the last pycon had a considerable number of people working
> for it across cities. ofcourse i am not trying to belittle the contribution of
> the ground team who did the grunt work. what i am trying to say is that, most
> activities associated with the conference (like raising sponsorship, spreading
> the word etc) can be done by any person with a working internet connection and
> a telephone line, sitting out of Timbuktu for all you know. I am speaking out
> of experience here, fortunately i have had the opportunity to be in the core
> team of Proto.in. we have not had any problem what so ever to run the show in
> any given city(most of the team sits out of chennai). * Ground work is
> templatized and WILL fall in place in due time. *
>
> 3) The real concern to me right now is the total number of volunteers ready to
> do the running around across the nation. the poll asks for which city people
> prefer, thats good, but it does not answer, what seems to be the most vital
> question to me. * can you help us run pycon india? *  that to me is the vital
> question which needs to be answered. that again i guess will help us know how
> many people are ready to do the grunt work / running around at the ground
> level. and how many are ready to contribute virtually.
>
> 4) Also, we need to find a way to filter out people's personal preference. on a
> personal note anyone would prefer his/her home town. i would certainly prefer
> chennai, personally, but as an organizer i must not look at my personal
> convenience, but find out and host the event at a place that would do good to
> Python. in that regard i would rather go and promote / create a buzz around
> python in a place which has lesser python developers(chennai) and to which the
> pthers can commute easily, than in a place which has more(bangalore). [no i am
> not suggesting a n00b conference, i hope i am understood in the right context]
>
> 5) Chennai's weather is not all that bad in September. in fact spetember to
> [...]

Senthil

Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be
sorry.