[Inpycon] Venue Finalization {was} PyCon 2010 - Let's get started

Saju Pillai srp at ideadevice.com
Tue Apr 20 21:28:43 CEST 2010

Senthil Kumaran wrote:
> Hey Kausikram and Kenneth,
>
> It is just simple. I think, you guys wanted to take it forward this
> year. So, please do it. Let us not discuss it back and forth, does not
> achieve any purpose.
>
> Polls does not help. Please, put up a poll with two different colleges
> in chennai, And you will still see good number of respondents giving
> their preference.

Don't confuse the poll as the final authority on deciding where pycon
should be held. The poll is a datapoint for which-ever group will make
the final decision. The poll data would be helpful when a very large
number of (serious) would be delegates show a strong preference for 1
city against another.

As some have pointed out, the bigger question is to figure out the
purpose of the conference. That in itself will go a long way in figuring
out where the conference should be held.

The choice of Chennai/Hyderabad/Delhi or any other city should not be
made be made "because the last conf was in Bangalore so we have to hold
it elsewhere". Each venue should be considered based on its merits and
if it suits the (still ambiguous) purpose of the conference.

I fully support the committee/group selecting a venue by some consensus
when multiple venues don't have enough differentiation. We are not there
yet, lots of other factors are still being figured out & they can help
decide where the venue should be.

> And Noufal: I have not been following the list for a while, So I do
> not know as why the venue discussion has come again. But you sure
> know that decision has to be taken by individual (or a select group of
> individuals) and it has to be stood firm. So, I was think that we are
> firm in that Chennai will have it this year and we all from Bangalore
> will be going to present there. :)
>
> Anyways, we can sort this out quickly and inform us all about the
> details, A rough plan might have to be drawn by a select few (1 or 2
> or 3 ) and discussed further.
>
> Also, Chennai being closer to Bangalore (or vice-versa), it does not
> make much difference IMO. I would have really cared, if it were in say
> New Delhi or say Mumbai.

IMO Cities make a huge difference, not everyone from Chennai who would
come to a local conf will be willing to travel & stay in Bangalore for a
multi day conf and vice versa.

-srp