[Inpycon] Registration system [was] Budget estimates

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 08:38:18 CEST 2010

On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 11:19 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm strongly -1 for the fossconf app. I don't mean to diss Kenneth or
> the work he and Theju have done on it but I think it's more trouble
> than it's worth.
>
> It took approximately 40 days last year to get the app into a running
> condition. This delayed our publicity efforts since we didn't have a
> face on the web. The CSS issue was even worse since the person who
> Sree assigned for it was unavailable and it got stretched out too
> much.
>
> The app crashed multiple times (for whatever reason) after it was
> deployed and there were critical periods (like the day before the
> conf.) when it was down and Kenneth was travelling. During the
> scheduling, we had trouble with various things like slots (I'm not
> sure about the specific issues but Ponnuswamy and Devyan who did that
> had some trouble).
>
> All we need on a site is a few informational pages (static HTML is
> fine for this). Maybe a blog (we can either use static HTML or some
> off the shelf blogging thing like wordpress - No, I'm not puritan
> about Python). The registration/money collecting part we'll outsource
> to doattend rather than waste time on getting it right. Software
> projects have a way of expanding to suck up time and we don't have
> that.
>
> A 'poor' website doesn't make a poor conference. If there are people
> who are willing to spend time on some nice designs, more power to them
> and we can use those designs but I'm strongly in favour of throwing
> together a few simple 2 column pages that outline the schedules etc.
> and getting this out of the way. Not more than a day or two. Stock
> designs are fine.
>
> The success/lack thereof of the conference is decided by the talks and
> human interactions during the actual two days of the event and not the
> quality of the software running the website. Let's just get this out
> of the way and move on with the meat of the project.

+1. The site software is the last thing that a conference attendee
has in mind. It is a required tool, no doubt, but not the focus.

It would be good if we can form interest groups in the mailing list
on broad topics and then discuss along those lines rather than
everyone pitching in their thoughts for everything. I don't mean to
discourage discussion, but quite often I feel the noise/signal ratio
is rather high.

For example, I am least concerned about the conference app -
I would like to pitch in my thoughts regarding the conference planning,
tracks, CFP etc. Can we have a discussion along these lines ?

I would classify the things we need to do along these topics
not in any order of importance.

1. Site software (maintenance/updates)
2. Location planning/co-ordination (offsite: this becomes more important,
Bangalore: less important)
3. Society matters (accounts, transfer, registration etc)
4. Core conference - Tracks, CFP, planning.
5. Conference support - T-shirts, Swags, Food etc.
6. Others

For example, I am interested mainly in 3&4 and would limit
my participation to such discussions.

> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in