[Inpycon] First cut of grand schedule

स्वक्ष vid at svaksha.com
Thu Apr 29 09:39:58 CEST 2010

On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 07:12, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org> wrote:

> sure - but where are the core devs in India? Afaik there are only about 3-4
> internationally known projects by local people, but with all respect to Anand
> b, Anand c and Prabhu, there are not all that many people who have come
> forward to perform these tasks for those projects. The point I am making is
> that there is not enough traction for any project in India for a sprint.

Yes, for that we do need to have built up a base. The beginnings are
always small but its a start nevertheless. I would not discount the
efforts put in though.

> fully agree now with Noufal that the conference should not spend time teaching
> python to raw newbies. This is an on-going thing that all of us can do in our
> spare time. I have conducted 5 workshops recently in various colleges, govt
> and industry. And in all of them have made sure to have at least one session
> on introducing python regardless of whether the organisers want it or not. The
> fossee folk are criss crossing the country doing the same thing. And if anyone
> here is interested, I can easily arrange audiences of half day/one day
> sessions for newbies in most places in India. (contact me offlist). This being
> the context, I see no reason why bangpypers meets should cater to newbies.
> They find it difficult enough to meet, let alone using up precious time on
> something not of interest to them. One thing that I have been repeatedly
> emphasising is that this conference, and bangpypers for that matter, is *not*
> foss or oss - it is language oriented. So bringing in foss/oss yardsticks to
> measure this is not appropriate. Things like mutual help, contribution back,
> which are taken for granted in the foss/oss world are not necessarily

Gee, you are mixing things up. I agree with the statement "Python as a
language is not floss per se"--Its used to create a variety of closed,
open, free, and non-free applications and those apps are probably
licensed as per the whims and fancies of their creators. Keeping the
INpycon conference "open to each of the above (free/non-free,
whatever)" and "translating django into Tamil" are not exclusively
disjunct especially IF the latter is the superset.

>> Yup, and its also heartening to see the patience and humility that
>> these folks have with beginners. In my eyes, they have achieved a
>> **lot** and yet they are firmly rooted to the ground.
>
> are you talking about the patience and humility of the django core devs???

Well, python != just django, albeit its the most famous and
well-documented framework around...a general observation about
different dev's at the sprints.

--
thanks and regards,
vid || http://svaksha.com