[Inpycon] Programming contest

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Sat Jun 12 07:32:10 CEST 2010

Hello everyone,
   PyCon apac just got over and it was fun.

   One of the things that happened here was an online programming contest
during the last one hour before the event closed. People basically had to
log in to a site on appengine and take a series of questions online. It was
two rounds and the first guy to finish won an ipad.

   I found it quite fun and all the participants enjoyed it as well. It
added some colour to the event and needless to say, the ipad prize made
people code quite fast.

   I was wondering if we could organise something similar to this in India
for the conference? The prize is not a problem. A netbook these days costs
around 20k and we can have a sponsor for that if necessary. Do you think it
would work? Would it be a good idea?

  Just in case the question comes up, the contest application was in Python
(Django specifically) and hosted on Google app engine so that wasn't an
issue. The guys who ran it here were in Bangalore for a while so they might
be willing to conduct it here as well.

Comments/ideas/thoughts?

Thanks

--