[Inpycon] Programming contest

Pradip P Caulagi caulagi at gmail.com
Sun Jun 13 18:59:20 CEST 2010

On Sat, Jun 12, 2010 at 01:32:10PM +0800, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:

>    ** One of the things that happened here was an online programming contest
>    during the last one hour before the event closed. People basically had to
>    log in to a site on appengine and take a series of questions online. It
>    was two rounds and the first guy to finish won an ipad.
>
>    ** I found it quite fun and all the participants enjoyed it as well. It
>    added some colour to the event and needless to say, the ipad prize made
>    people code quite fast.
>
>    ** I was wondering if we could organise something similar to this in India
>    for the conference? The prize is not a problem. A netbook these days costs
>    around 20k and we can have a sponsor for that if necessary. Do you think
>    it would work? Would it be a good idea?
>
>    * Just in case the question comes up, the contest application was in
>    Python (Django specifically) and hosted on Google app engine so that
>    wasn't an issue. The guys who ran it here were in Bangalore for a while so
>    they might be willing to conduct it here as well.
>
>    Comments/ideas/thoughts?

A few other ideas -

* We can have a hackday which starts at 5PM , Sep 25 and ends at
5PM Sep 26. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hack_Day]

* Or we can have something like -
http://www.esug.org/Conferences/2010/Innovation+Technology+Awards?_s=jqPXQXjkj3u9Qr9p&_k=mH--XhrV&_n&30

* Or something like -
http://pdxfoscon.org/competition

The last 2 of these are not something created during the conference.  This has
the advantage that the contestants would have thought really hard about the
work being presented.