[Inpycon] CFP posters

Elvis Joel D'Souza me at elvis.co.in
Sun Jun 27 14:31:12 CEST 2010

On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 4:54 PM, renuka prasad <renukaprasadb at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sun, Jun 27, 2010 at 2:07 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> What does everyone here think of actually printing out a largish
>> poster and (snail) mailing it to colleges etc. around the country
>> announcing the conference and the CFP? It costs a little but it
>> *might* be worth it. I'm thinking LUGs, Large colleges etc.
>>

> announcing in colleges about the conference is a good thing, but about CFP
> , it might be a bit over ambitious to expect from colleges /universities as
> first of all do we have information about which colleges /universities know
> about python.

This is important since we do not have a tutorial on python, like last year.

If we can have a page on the wiki which lists colleges whose
students/faculty know python,
(like http://wiki.python.org/moin/BangPypers/PythonCompaniesInIndia)
students/faculty (and others)
on the mailing list can add to it. Also, students/faculty can use their
contacts to find out about
Python related activity in the colleges around them...

> well assuming that we have some information and want to send some posters ,
> please do not just post the posters ,as  from our experience most of time we
> throw posters to dustbin, as there will be many posters coming every day to
> colleges .( as you are mentioning large colleges , this is the situation in
> large colleges , until and unless the person who sees that poster will be
> aware about the importance of python conference )

One way to see that the poster reaches the right place is to send it through
a faculty or student of the college.
Having contact-names/email in addition to the college name on the wiki page
proposed above,
will see that we know whom to contact for this...

> use either student network or faculty network to spread the information.
>
> send to all colleges at least locally ( why you think only big colleges? )
>
> It is exams / vacation time now , better do not post during this time as
> soon as colleges reopens then if you send it will be given a look atleast.

Yeah! Posters sent now go to the dustbin for sure. Most colleges open late
August or early September.
Sending posters before that is a bad idea.

Elvis Joel D'Souza | me at elvis.co.in
Mangalore/Bangalore, India