[Inpycon] Opening registrations

Kenneth Gonsalves lawgon at au-kbc.org
Wed Jun 30 12:12:53 CEST 2010

On Wednesday 30 June 2010 15:26:31 Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> > early bird should be for all online registrations prior to the conference
> > - online registrations should be open till the day prior to the
> > conference.
>
> Is that the plan? I recollect we had some confusion about this last
> year as well.
>
> My idea was that we'd sell the tickets online initially for a lower
> cost (early bird) - this is to encourage people to register early. And
> then after a cut off date (say 10 Aug), charge slightly more. The idea
> is to get more people to register upfront and publicise the event.
>
> I remember you mentioning that it won't make a different in India but
> if students are coming, I think the lower price might be good for
> them.
>
> Spot registrations are purely for people who are in the neighbourhood
> and want to drop in but don't have a ticket.
>
> What do you feel?

in India, people put off registering and paying till the last minute unless
they get a substantial benefit in paying early. For a person who is capable of
paying online, 100 rupees will not make a difference. He pays online for
convenience. We benefit from online payment so that there are less hassles.
Even then you are going to see the usual queue at the start of the conference.
So it is in our interest to encourage online payment. Abroad early bird gives
you substantial reduction in payment as also preference for discounted hotel
booking etc. These factors do not apply here at all. So instead of early bird
- which does not mean anything, we put online payment 250 and on spot payment
350.

Another point - if the system is set to be unable to register without payment.
then very few will register. We have to have a system where a person can
register and choose 'pay now' or 'pay later'. Since obviously we cannot say
that if you do not register and pay online you cannot attend - there is a real
possibility that very few will register.
--
Regards
Kenneth Gonsalves