[Inpycon] Opening registrations

Shalin Jain shalinjain at gmail.com
Wed Jun 30 17:40:10 CEST 2010

Hi Folks,

Here is my take on ticketing strategy, sorry for being late at it.
This is based on having handled over thousand event managers doing lot
many more events (quite a few of them in India).

1. Segmenting tickets

I understand there is a large student group that would want to be at
this conference and benefit from it. They cannot pay a lot and hence
there should be an extremely affordable Student Pass. Exclusively for
them.

Student Pass - rs. 250 (Showing valid ID at registration would be
must, badge will mention Student)
Working Professional Pass - rs. 750 (Because people like me can easily
pay that much, take away value from such conferences are much more
higher)

This can significantly help increase budget for A/V and other
important things that will make the event a quality one without having
to solely depends on Sponsors money.

2. Closing registrations Early

Usually registrations increase drastically towards the closing dates
for registration. And this not necessarily be the event date (minus
one). In indian scenario I would say over 40% of registrations happen
in the last 3-days before the registrations close. Having starting
registrations over two months in advance closing registrations 7 days
before the event would be an excellent idea. I would highly recommend
this for volunteer driven event so that planning and execution can be
smoother knowing everything about the size of your audience 1 week in
advance.

Being very clear about when the registrations close (just like how you
are clear about Proposal submission) makes event last minute guys
register 1 week before. How cool!

3. Alternative to Early Bird

Discount codes are great alternative to having early bird. For
instance, I would launch with discount code 'ilovepython' or similar
while announcing the opening of registrations. This code can be kept
to a max quantity of 50, valid for first 3 days with a cash discount
of 200 rupees (on Professional Pass) pushed mainly to the mailing
list, twitter and facebook group. (Just an example!)

My 2 cents.

Shalin Jain
http://twitter.com/shalin10