[Inpycon] PyCon India 2010 venue : MSRIT vs. RVCE

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Sat May 15 19:50:51 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> I don't consider it a criterion. My interest in the staff coordinator
>> is limited to getting things moving at the venue. There's no real need
>> for every aspect of the conference to be anointed with something
>> related to Python.
>
> I agree completely. Moreover once the deal is inked, and if you can sell to
> the college management that this is an Indian chapter of a world famous tech
> event, whether they understand Python or not things will fall in place.

If *we* have to sell it to the college, it's going to become hard
whether we are "world famous" or not. Taking care of the
administrative hassles related to the college is what I'd like the
staff contact to take care of. I'm quite sure this would happen at RV
but not absolutely sure at MSRIT which is why I voted +0 instead of
+1.

> I am still inclined to go with MSRIT. Traffic woes are very real in
> Bangalore this year. And many of us are from East Bangalore, Central
> Bangalore and North Bangalore, and Mysore Road is fairly inaccessible thanks
> to the metro work all through the route. I guess it makes no difference when
> you are not from Bangalore, and I know it would have made no difference to
> me if this was in Chennai, and I were travelling from Bangalore.

I think the traffic/road issues are genuine. Kenneths jibe about the
denizens of east Bangalore is somewhat warranted since it's short
sighted to decide on a venue just based on local convenience. There
was a possible venue about a kilometre from my place but I didn't
pitch it.

There'd be lot of people (students especially) travelling from outside
who stay with relatives and friends. All of these become effective
local residents during the 2 days of the conf. and have to put up with
the commute hell if we choose a bad venue. Transportation of stuff
(banners etc.) to the venue becomes nasty. Going there to meet people
before the conference to set things up becomes nasty. All these things
become nasty and if we have a more accessible venue, it is a good
thing.

Of course, this doesn't mean that we should blindly go to MSRIT. I'm
just saying that we cannot simply ignore the accessibility and road
condition just because it's an all India conference. It is a genuine
problem and a minus point for RV.

> I know there would be arguments from people living near Mysore Road, that
> MSRIT is equally in accessible, if that's the case we need to relook at
> opting for a more central location....

This would be as irrelevant as comments from you or me or any other
'denizen of east Bangalore' saying that it's too far or that it's
inaccessible.

--
~noufal