[Inpycon] PyCon India 2010 venue : MSRIT vs. RVCE

Ramdas S ramdaz at gmail.com
Sat May 15 20:30:06 CEST 2010

On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 11:16 PM, renuka prasad <renukaprasadb at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:57 PM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, May 15, 2010 at 10:33 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I don't consider it a criterion. My interest in the staff coordinator
>>> is limited to getting things moving at the venue. There's no real need
>>> for every aspect of the conference to be anointed with something
>>> related to Python.
>>>

>> I agree completely. Moreover once the deal is inked, and if you can sell
>> to the college management that this is an Indian chapter of a world famous
>> tech event, whether they understand Python or not things will fall in place.
>>

>> then there is no meaning and value  to conduct such event.. please do not
> consider RVCE if you people wont value the philosophy and consider only
> about conducting a tech event, i cant support such things
>
>  it looks to me that there are too many night birds and does not want to
> get up early on one Saturday for FOSS ( python in this case ) and anyways
> Sunday is  cool..
>
> i dont want to comment on traffic and other things --thats not in our hands
> ,
>
> atleast by next year METRO will be ready ,
> then there would be complaints about cost rather than traffic
>
> since baiju  approached us long back i assumed that there would be some
> consensus and was very happy that we could host , but then there were good
> signs that other colleges also were willing to host the event
>
> since we are planning to run python course this semester in our college for
> one of the BE branches,  there is a 6 day X 6 hour workshop ,that would also
> make python more popular and bring some satisfaction to us to host the
> workshop,  taking up pycon2010 would have been a great impact , but even
> otherwise  those who value would attend the conference wherever it is held.
>
> please go ahead with MSRIT , no doubts there is very good infrastructure,
> take care about all the other requirements like catering , generator , UPS
> etc etc .. let me know if any more help required from faculty side , i have
> some contacts whom i am also in touch since this discussion is going on and
> they are also waiting for some calls to help
>
> I am still inclined to go with MSRIT. Traffic woes are very real in
>> Bangalore this year. And many of us are from East Bangalore, Central
>> Bangalore and North Bangalore,
>>
> and Mysore Road is fairly inaccessible thanks to the metro work all through
>> the route. I guess it makes no difference when you are not from Bangalore,
>> and I know it would have made no difference to me if this was in Chennai,
>> and I were travelling from Bangalore.
>>
>> I know there would be arguments from people living near Mysore Road, that
>> MSRIT is equally in accessible, if that's the case we need to relook at
>> opting for a more central location....
>>
>> Anyways this is my personal thoughts.....
>>
>> this is what i suggested baiju and ofcourse on the list that day when some
> [...]

Renuka,

Sorry if my mail was sounding personal to you. My comments are in no way
directed at any specific institution or person. This is an open forum, and
we are all entitled to have and express our opinion.

And perhaps my opinion could be short-sighted, stupid or irrelevant to many
of you, but I am entitled to raise my opinion on this forum as much as you
are or for that matter any body else has the right to.

I would request you to take it easy, and please do not jump to any
conclusion. I don't think individual opinions and comments go beyond merely
attempting to point out real issues. And no one here has said that we are
not going with RVCE or we are going ahead with another institution.

Noufal,

My suggestion (and please note it's just a  suggestion only) is that
somebody from core committee of the society must visit RVCE campus and also
meet up discuss with Sree who has already been to MSRIT, and then take a
call on this after very carefully evaluating all the criteria, and then
annouce a decision. May be someone should then call Kenneth on the phone,
and have a chat with him too.

We have elected representatives of society, and why we have people elected
is to own up responsibility and take decisions that you are empowered too.

I guess whatever decision the society executive committee takes, rest of us
should abide by this.

I'd also request you to close this thread, and take the call through a call
limited within the office bearers.

Of course, this's just my suggestion, and we are in a free market as
always...