[Inpycon] Fwd: Sponsorships from IITB

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu May 27 09:40:36 CEST 2010

On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:32 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 11:16 AM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at au-kbc.org>
> wrote:
> [..]
> > pycon helps the community to grow - there were a lot of tangible results
> - and
> > hidden results from the last conference. The sheer volume of mail on this
> list
> > is proof of that.
>
> This isn't really something great. Mails are easy to send.
>
> > And we even got to make an all India society without any
> > splits or squabbling (a new Indian record).
>
> This is true.
>
> > Things like better talks will come
> > as the community grows and matures. Sprints will take place once the
> local
> > community has something to sprint about.
>
> I think his intention is that there should be sprints where there's
> one or two senior more experienced people and a group of less
> experienced but talented people who contribute some code or docs back
> to the community. Fix bugs. You know the drill.

 Oh well, he is approaching this from an academic, or I rather say pedantic
 perspective. I would say a professorial one, quite within expectations
 considering what he does. And I would say this will be limited to the
 code that is of interest to him (MayaVi or any other scientific Python
stuff),
 where such "sprints" can be arranged because he has control over it.
 That is ok in a SciPy conference but personally and from a community
 perspective, I think this doesn't fit in with our conference theme.
 We cannot force hacking and programming in this conference - it has
 to come out of the urge to solve problems, which is what makes
 a community - that is voluntary, not enforced. That is what Kenneth
 is saying and I agree with it.

Regarding us not having sprints last time I have just one thing to say -
"You learn to walk before you run" - and that is what exactly this
 conference is doing. We could not have had any sprints last time
 because we were just making baby steps and not "sprinting".

> > At the same time, the sponsors have to show something concrete to the
> people
> > who give them the funds - so in return for their support we should
> produce
> > some videos, dvds or whatever.
>
> Yeah. The videos should be taken more seriously this time.
>
> > and not lose sight of the fact that the main aim of the conference is to
> have
> > fun with fellow pythonistas ...
>
> True but if all we have is "fun with the fellow pythonistas", a group
> like FOSSEE wouldn't be really interested. Like you mentioned in your
> last point, they'll need something more tangible.

 Maybe we should keep IITB as an option which we would consider
 if we don't get good response from the other potential sponsors. I
 feel the tone is rather aggressive right from the start w.r.t their
 demands and it is not something which we should give into
 without a thought.

> I think he's putting it down to either code or archvied instructional
> material. If we can do either of those, it should be fine. I'm sure
> about the latter. Not so much about the former.
>
> --
> ~noufal
> http://nibrahim.net.in

--Anand