[Inpycon] Tutorials

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 11:15:51 CEST 2011

On Mon, Apr 11 2011, Dhananjay Nene wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 11, 2011 at 2:18 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Apr 01 2011, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
>>

>> [...]
>>
>> > 4. Are the tutorials separately paid for?
>> >         - Are the instructors given some kind of honorarium?
>> >         - Are the students to expect some kind of notes etc.?
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> If this is not yet decided, we need to discuss and decide it right
>> away. We've never conducted tutorials at PyCon before and it would be
>> best to discuss this before going ahead.
>>
>> Here are the important points.
>> 1. Length.
>> 2. Payment by students.
>> 3. Payment to instructors.
>> 4. Notes/materials.
>> 5. Recording and public distribution (might be different if it's
>>   separately paid for).
>>

> Any suggestions?

1. Two or three hours per tutorial. Around 30 students max.

2 and 3 I'm not sure. The US and APAC PyCons have separate payments for
this. It's a lot of effort to make a good tutorial so there should be
*some* incentive. How about 500 INR per tutorial and first come first
serve. The trainer can be paid 50% of the total amount and the IPSS can
keep the rest. Tutorials with less than 10 participants will be
cancelled.

4. If it's paid for, then this is must. Otherwise, I guess not. Maybe
   left to the trainers?

5. If the trainers are commercially providing these trainings outside
   PyCon, they might not want it to be recorded and put online. That was
   my concern (and the reason why the US ones were not recorded this
   year).

[...]