[Inpycon] Local contact for Raymond

Noufal Ibrahim noufal at gmail.com
Mon Aug 8 09:45:49 CEST 2011

Harshad Oak <harshad at rightrix.com> writes:

> IMHO wouldn't sending someone to Mumbai to receive a speaker be going
> too far.
>
> With due respects & irrespective of the profile of the speaker, the
> conference is far bigger than any speaker and all speakers are just as
> important for the success of a conference.
>
> Paying too much attention to one foreign speaker kind of devalues the
> conference brand, sends the wrong message to other speakers and IMHO
> is an 'under-developed country' way of doing things.

I don't think so. There was a thread discussing funding foreign speakers
before and similar concerns were raised there as well. I think it's
justified for a couple of reasons.

1. He's the only speaker who we've explicity invited.
2. He is the keynote speaker.
3. He is not from this country (visiting it the first time) and will
   more assistance than other people from India.
4. He's almost surely more knowledgeable and experienced than the
   majority of the other speakers (atleast as far as Python is
   concerned).

I have other feelings about this but they're rather warm and not really
suitable for a public mailing list so I'll leave it at that.

[...]

--
~noufal
http://nibrahim.net.in