[Inpycon] venue

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 09:04:23 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:03 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-02-09 at 12:34 +0530, sankarshan wrote:
> > > 1. Developers who are focussed on python - they will attend
> > regardless
> > > of where the conference is, *especially* if there is an extreme
> > track.
> > >
> > > 2. Developers who are *also* interested in python - these will
> > probably
> > > only attend if it is held in their own city.
> > >
> > > 3. Students - I have noticed in the last two events a large number
> > of
> > > students who are willing to travel to attend.
> > >
> > > 4. Newbies - will only attend if it is in their own city.
> >
> > Unless there are circumstances and subjects which aren't being
> > discussed on the list, are there reasons to believe that the audience
> > categories, as described above, will give it a miss if it is at
> > Coimbatore ?
>
> I do not think so - the Mumbai,Pune, Hyderabad and Kerala guys will be
> there even if we host in pattiveeranpatti ;-).

Not so sure. I tried to look up direct flights from pune to coimbatore.
Apparently none. That would be a big disappointment and a constraint. The
first pycon I had to miss at the last moment, since it was hard to balance
out customer expectations and pycon. Increasingly higher travel time only
makes the tradeoff harder. And while I don't know where pattiveeranpatti is,
I do not think one should just assume and take for granted people really
interested in python will attend what may - they have other priorities -
families, customers etc. and it would help to be sensitive to those.

> > Bangalore, Pune, Chennai would have, perhaps, attracted attendance
> > from those who develop_with/contribute_to Python in their professional
> > spheres. However, the genesis of the discussion was from the idea that
> > Chennai seemed to have a remote chance of hosting it.
>
> I personally fail to understand how location matters

<Repeat my answer from above>.