[Inpycon] venue

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 11:32:20 CET 2011

On Wed, Feb 9, 2011 at 1:18 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> More than colleges we need professional developers, which is why
> >> Bangalore,
> >> Pune and Chennai is always on top of our list...
> >
> > well this depends on your perspective. There are four classes of people
> > who attend inpycon:
> >
> > 1. Developers who are focussed on python - they will attend regardless
> > of where the conference is, *especially* if there is an extreme track.
> >
> > 2. Developers who are *also* interested in python - these will probably
> > only attend if it is held in their own city.
> >
> > 3. Students - I have noticed in the last two events a large number of
> > students who are willing to travel to attend.
> >
> > 4. Newbies - will only attend if it is in their own city.
>
> The problem is mood. A "conference" dominated by first timer students
> will become nothing more than a glorified workshop or at best a user
> group meeting. While fine for advocacy, it's a very low goal for an
> annual conference.
>
> We've been criticised for this in the past two conferences and
> justifiably so.
>
> I think we should focus on creating a conference for genuine high
> quality people and offer a tutorial type session on the side.
>
> The city should be selected based on that. Given the choice between
> Chennai and Coimbatore, I'd prefer the former. If Pune is an option,
> that'd be fine as well.
>
> It'd be a pity if the conference became simply a glorified tutorial
> session for college students with a few talks thrown in.

 Late into the thread, but I concur with Noufal's view points.

 I am not disputing any credentials of Comibatore as a venue,
 but for an event like this in its 3rd edition, I think we should
 choose cities with a global name recognition. Bangalore,
 Chennai has it and so does Pune to some extent. Coimbatore
 is probably on the way towards it, but it is not yet there IMHO.

 With all due respect, a Pycon India is worlds away from
 a World Tamil Conference in terms of the kind of audience.
 We would want a more cosmopolitan city to host it, at least
 that is what my personal opinion is.

> [...]

--Anand