[Inpycon] venue

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Thu Feb 10 14:21:06 CET 2011

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 6:25 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 10 2011, Anand Balachandran Pillai wrote:
>

> [...]
>
> > I would like to also point out that being obstinately repeating
> > Coimbatore is good, great, fine etc doesn't make it so. You seem to
> > believe that hammering a point down the throat of others, makes it by
> > default a valid and accepted one.
>
> I didn't get the impression he was shoving the point down anyone's
> throat. I think the crux of his argument was
>     - That Chennai was what was suggested but is not in a position to
>       conduct it
>     - Most of the people who proposed Chennai are now in Coimbatore.

 This is not a valid argument. Let us assume for a moment that myself,
you, Anand C, Vijay Bang, Sri and a bunch of others who helped ran
Pycon 2010 move to Mysore in 2011. Would you use that as a basis for saying
we will run Pycon 2012 in Mysore ?

>     - There are enough colleges and students there to do the
>       groundwork.

 Great. But as I have personally seen and experienced in Pycon 2010,
 just having a bunch of college students to run around is not good enough.
 Someone has to be on the ground, directing them.

>     - And it's now accessible.
>
> These however don't address your comments about requiring a cosmopolitan
> city with an active *Python* community (not a LUG most of the members of
> which code in Python) so your point is still valid and I'm personally,
> not too hot about holding it in Coimbatore (-0).

Yes, so you got my point.

> Let's see what the Chennai (and others if any) have to say about the
> event. We'll beat it out on the list for a few days and finally
> decide. The groundwork *has* to start with March if we're to get a good
> event happening. Also, the PyCon in the US is then so if we get the ball
> rolling, we can invite someone from there for our conference here.

Exactly. It is not good to argue and make it appear that the following
is an axiom.

1. We first decided to do this in Chennai.
2. Most of the organizers who would have done this in Chennai
 is now in Coimbatore.
3. Most of these organizers feel this can be done in Coimbatore.
4. 1 and 2 with the support of 3, implies that Coimbatore is the natural
venue for this.

I would like to point out that 4 doesn't lead directly from 1,2 and 3.
We need to hear about other city folks in the list, discuss thoroughly,
call for a telecon of interested folks if required and take a proper
decision within a week or two at most.

> [...]

--Anand