[Inpycon] Pune for pycon 2011

Mehul Ved mehul.n.ved at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 04:02:56 CET 2011

My +1 for pune.

On 11 Feb 2011 03:48, "Dhananjay Nene" <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> This is to formally document our interest in hosting Pycon India 2011 in
Pune. Note that this thought was initiated a little over 2 days ago and this
is the progress we have been able to make so far.

> Team :
>
> We were able to put together this team through pure word of mouth and
almost everyone contacted immediately showed an extremely active interest
and enthusiasm and is listed below. We are aware of at least two more who
have shown interest, at least one of them widely known within the Python
community. We just haven't had the time to pull them into the discussions
yet, and we have not even put out the word on pune python group yet, and I
believe once we do that there will be many more who probably will share the
enthusiasm to participate and make this happen.

> The team is Cc'ed on this email, and a brief description about their
python and general event organisation background (in alphabetical order)
follows

> Baishampayan Ghose aka BG : Should need no introduction to Python
community or bangpypers list. Chief geek and Co-founder - Infinitely Beta,
paisa.com - uses python and tornado amongst other technologies. Very keen
sharer of knowledge, conducts many talks and has organised many user group
meetings.

> Dhananjay Nene (Lead) : Occasional participant in bangpypers, consulting
architect and part of the programming team for two B2B SaaS services
currently in production - both using Pylons. Last major organisation
experience was 20 years ago, as a member of the core committee of IIM
Ahmedabad Marketing fair, primarily responsible for designing the systems
and operations of and responsible for the control room which individually
routed more than 10k people based on their marketing demograpics - an
organisation effort that took almost an year. Regularly talks at many tech
events in Pune and presented at "Functional Programming in Python" at Pycon
2010.

> Harshad Oak : Regularly organises 3 to 4 conferences every year in pune
(commercially). Also runs Rightrix, and indicthreads.com. Also started
pythonthreads.com, a few years ago, but then concentrated his efforts on
indicthreads. Creator of the PythonPune mailing list.

> Navin Kabra : Perhaps best known for his extremely popular punetech.comwhich is a highly respected tech community site, he is also the CTO and
co-founder of bharathealth.com and chose django to write his code to. Navin
is the quietly popular guy with connections and relationships running both
deep and wide into Pune's academicia and corporates . Has been an
instrumental participant in a number of events including proto.in pune open
coffee club, techweekend pune, and many other blog camps and bar camps in
addition to organising user group events.

> Steven Fernandez aka steve aka lonetwin : Again probably quite known to
many pythonistas, has organised user group events. Not sure which is his
preferred python framework poison.
> It is this teams collective belief and confidence that they have
sufficient goodwill, respect and networks to rally both volunteers and
participation from local students, academicia, and corporates as necessary
to pull of an event of the size of Pycon India. In a lighter vein, our
diversity is also reflected by our selection of different python web
frameworks.

> To quote from Navin's mail to the this mailing list a day or two ago :
>
> "Pune can definitely host the event. We have enough interested volunteers,
a very strong community (the PythonPune mailing list is not very active in
spite of 100+ members, but the Pune linux users group, the Pune Open Coffee
Club, CSI Pune and PuneTech are all very strong, and have enough pythonistas
in them that we can put together a very strong team on the ground. And of
course, venues and colleges is absolutely not a problem here.)". It should
also be noted that proximity to Mumbai is unlikely to hurt.

If it is pune, I would very much like to play some active role since pune is
pretty nearby from mumbai.

> Venue
>
> 6. Symbiosis; Lavale (multiple colleges, including SIT a tech college
interested in tech events):
>    Advantages: Venue - lovely location on a hilltop. Great campus. Brand
new audi & classrooms.
>    Disadvantage: Location - completely out of town (45 minutes from town,
1 hour from airport; 15/20 minutes from nearest good hotels). But beauty of
campus might overcome this disadvantage. We can probably get someone to
sponsor a couple of bus trips to and from the center of the city.

+1 for this venue if it works out.