[Inpycon] Venue decision

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Fri Feb 11 14:11:26 CET 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:38 PM, Kenneth Gonsalves <lawgon at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, 2011-02-11 at 17:11 +0530, Noufal Ibrahim wrote:
> > I can't find any concrete data points to base my decision on but my
> > gut
> > feel is that we should go for Pune.
>
> I would tend to agree to this - I had a conversation offlist with
> Dhananjay and was impressed by his outlook. The two problems I see are
>
> 1. the team: has it worked together in the past and done good? I cannot
> answer that. I *do* know that Steve initially said that 'we are not
> quite there yet'. But in any new place with a new team, this problem is
> bound to be there.
>
> In loose, disconnected fashions yes. So some of us have worked on
techweekend, some have supported Harshad for his conferences, and some in
the context of python pune have interacted at times and some for many other
*camps. I and Navin have interacted only too often (and that might be true
between Navin and a few others). In disparate sets we have worked together
and done good. But this specific composition, for a specific large goal such
as Pycon India. No. I think what I can affirm is that we all have helped
contributed to building the pune tech ecosystem in a variety of ways - in a
manner we could contribute the best. For those who may not be aware of
specifics of Pune ecosystem, Navin's reputation in this matter is that of a
giant. I am ill informed about other ecosystems, but to the extent I am
aware, Navin's contribution to ecosystem reputation of any techie is
unparalleled. Harshad through his regular conference sessions is well known
and respected, and not just in India, and BG and Steve I really wouldn't
need to add more introduction to for the Python communities. I think there
is a will. There is a commitment. And we will find a way to get our steps
marching to a common rhythm. Thats no guarantee, but I believe the team
composition has a lot of right elements in adequate diversity to invest some
faith into.

> 2. venue - I find in bigger cities (I am mainly talking of metros - but
> Pune apparently approaches that) colleges are very hoity toity about
> cooperating. There again the Pune team needs to enlighten us on this.
>
> I have requested Navin to respond - he really has much better experiences
and insights than what I could hope to contribute as a response.

Dhananjay