[Inpycon] Issue / Task Tracking for Pycon India

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 04:09:27 CET 2011

All,

One of the first things I tried to look at is the availability of a hosted /
SaaS offering for Issue / Task Tracking.  Note: self hosting is something I
would really like to avoid to save time and energy.

Here are some of the tools I explored and did not find necessarily good
enough (at least in my individual opinion)

a. Manymoon - 25M limit
b. Lighthouse - 100M limit (thought I think 100 M should be good enough for
us).
c. Todoyou - too enterprisey
d. Deskaway and Unfuddle (and many others such as Basecamp as well) - From
what I remember they allowed too few users or too little disk space for the
free edition. I would imagine we will need approx 25 users to be setup.
e. PivotalTracker - perhaps too heavily focused on user stories/milestones
and in general the agile way.

The ones which seemed Ok were :

a. Jira, by atlassian. - I've used it in the past. Its very good. Has a
relatively sharp software focus. Requires qualification as a organisation to
use it in a free manner. That is being pursued to see if it works for us.
Else extremely expensive.
b. Assembla - based on Trac but now substantially different. (Python users
might sense additional satisfaction of it being python :) ). Software
focused. In general quite nice and full featured. Some amount of agile
focus.
c. NoKahuna - Exceptionally simple with minimalist task tracking. The
minimalism could influence negatively in a few places (though it just seems
extraordinarily cute).

Note that both for Assembla and NoKahuna (and Lighthouse) - I was intending
to use the Public repository - the one where all data is in the open in
order to qualify for the $0 amount, a constraint which might seem like a
feature perhaps in a context like Pycon India.

Thoughts, comments are welcome.

Dhananjay