[Inpycon] Issue / Task Tracking for Pycon India

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Tue Feb 15 05:52:02 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 9:01 AM, Ramdas S <ramdaz at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 8:39 AM, Dhananjay Nene <dhananjay.nene at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> All,
>>
>> One of the first things I tried to look at is the availability of a hosted
>> / SaaS offering for Issue / Task Tracking.  Note: self hosting is something
>> I would really like to avoid to save time and energy.
>>
>> Here are some of the tools I explored and did not find necessarily good
>> enough (at least in my individual opinion)
>>
>> a. Manymoon - 25M limit
>> b. Lighthouse - 100M limit (thought I think 100 M should be good enough
>> for us).
>> c. Todoyou - too enterprisey
>> d. Deskaway and Unfuddle (and many others such as Basecamp as well) - From
>> what I remember they allowed too few users or too little disk space for the
>> free edition. I would imagine we will need approx 25 users to be setup.
>> e. PivotalTracker - perhaps too heavily focused on user stories/milestones
>> and in general the agile way.
>>
>> The ones which seemed Ok were :
>>
>> a. Jira, by atlassian. - I've used it in the past. Its very good. Has a
>> relatively sharp software focus. Requires qualification as a organisation to
>> use it in a free manner. That is being pursued to see if it works for us.
>> Else extremely expensive.
>> b. Assembla - based on Trac but now substantially different. (Python users
>> might sense additional satisfaction of it being python :) ). Software
>> focused. In general quite nice and full featured. Some amount of agile
>> focus.
>> c. NoKahuna - Exceptionally simple with minimalist task tracking. The
>> minimalism could influence negatively in a few places (though it just seems
>> extraordinarily cute).
>>
>> Note that both for Assembla and NoKahuna (and Lighthouse) - I was
>> intending to use the Public repository - the one where all data is in the
>> open in order to qualify for the $0 amount, a constraint which might seem
>> like a feature perhaps in a context like Pycon India.
>>

> It's a feature. Let's use one of the free and open ones. We need
> transparency since this is a community effort. I think whatever the
> Dhananjay and Pune team feels comfortable with we will go ahead, since they
> are driving it.

Have decided to use Assembla on a 2 week trial. The repository will be open
and visible to all.

https://www.assembla.com/spaces/pycon-india-2011/

However actual participation will require a user id on assembla. Since we
are doing a trial, you may want to wait till end of February when we decide
whether we continue with it (else if we shift later - ids will need to get
recreated). If however you would like to participate sooner, create an id on
assembla and let me know, I can associate your account with the project. I
will add the ids on request only once every 24 hrs .. so it might take upto
a day for it to be processed.