[Inpycon] Necessity of foreign delegates. Was Re: Notes from InPyCon planning meeting of local Pune Team

Dhananjay Nene dhananjay.nene at gmail.com
Mon Feb 21 19:03:22 CET 2011

On Mon, Feb 21, 2011 at 10:49 PM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
<abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:

> It is unfortunate that we are discussing the whys and not the
> hows of things at this point of time. I am sorry to say, but
> the original email by the O.P to the list was highly uncalled
> for at this time.

I have just read all the mails since late afternoon and have just
started digesting the various opinions. However the above point is one
that I think I could respond to very quickly.

The point came up in the pune meeting of pycon enthusiasts less than a
week ago, and I do not think there was any one in the meeting who
could articulate all the sides of the matter with half the clarity as
seems to be have done on this list so far. Continuing with a matter
that was clearly important without a sense of clarity did not seem
fair. At the same time allow me to explain why the discussion deserved
to be on this list even at this time.

In the early days, I had looked to put a team in place which would
effectively be tasked with all the decisions. That did not seem to fly
too well. As I communicated with various folks in the 10 odd offlist
emails, it was obvious that offlist communication was also to be
eschewed - so I've stayed off offlist mails for some days now. I also
looked back into the past quarter of emails and I do not recollect any
discussions which helped provide more insight.

There is no alternative to then bring this discussion on this list
especially given the fact there are so many new participants who are
expected to play a role who are unclear on this topic. Perhaps
inconvenient, but I really do not know if there was any other
alternative, if this action was uncalled for.

So far I haven't found substantial reasons to feel concerned about the
spirit of the discussions. And I would suggest that if one has to
incorporate a bunch of pycon newbies into the process, it is perhaps a
necessary step.

We've decide the mailing list to be the place for clarifying and
resolving issues and lets welcome comments so long as we can still
ensure we can deal with them and work to closure quickly.