[Inpycon] Notes from InPyCon planning meeting of local Pune Team

Navin Kabra navin at smriti.com
Tue Feb 22 07:48:36 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:55 AM, ॥ स्वक्ष ॥ <vid at svaksha.com> wrote:

> I, III and IV sound good but care to explain what you mean by "...with
> prereqs"? Does it mean its not open to ALL attendees Or did you mean
> its akin to the "Extreme tracks" that pycon-Atlanta is holding? then,
> +1 to Extreme talks.

Yes, something akin to extreme tracks. The speaker will not spend time
explaining anything that is listed in the pre-reqs, and will jump directly
into the meat of the talk. Anybody is free to attend, but they should be
aware that the talk might not make sense if they're not familiar with the
pre-reqs.

> > For this conference, we don't want to really focus on the size of the
> > audience - rather we would like to really try hard to get good quality,
> > advanced talks. We'll insist on there being enough advanced talks; and
> > aggressively reject "introductory" talks that can't be accommodated in
> the
> > introductory track.
>
> I hope the above does not mean "introductory" talks are not welcome. I

assume introductory talks are welcome as Quality is relative and
> hardly determined by tags ("advanced"/"introductory"), rather, its the
> subject-domain that makes the difference as Python spans a vast array
> of subjects. A case in point, among the half-a-dozen "Novice" talks
> listed here, its possible that a Genetic programmer might be
> interested in listening how puppet is used to build the
> development/production environment for his/her code, and viceversa.
> Isnt there something that one may not know, always? YMMV.

I think we need to separate out "introductory" into two parts. One set talks
that give an introductory overview to something that is in the python world
itself, or at least something that a reasonably experienced python
programmer is expected know know already, or can easily pickup (e.g. using
sqlalchemy with django, test driven development, beyond django 101). These
are more advanced than tutorials, but still not very useful for the advanced
pythonistas. We would like to restrict such talks to just one track.

A second set of introductory talks give an overview of something that is
from a different domain. e.g. genetic programming. We're hoping to create
related groupings of such talks to put them in the themed track. e.g. on
session on talks on documentation related talks.

The main point we wanted to make was to have at least one track that only
has "advanced" talks, i.e. python experience required.

>  > Maybe charge Rs. 150 for Day 0 Tutorials if there are people who
> > want to attend just that.
>
> Is that per tutorial over and above the 250 registration fee?

It wasn't per tutorial, but for the whole day. But the numbers we came up
with were just strawmen. Suggestions are welcome.