[Inpycon] Decision making / Consensus building process. Was Re: Necessity of foreign delegates.

Anand Balachandran Pillai abpillai at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 08:45:41 CET 2011

On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:23 PM, Dhananjay Nene
<dhananjay.nene at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Anand Balachandran Pillai
> <abpillai at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com>
> wrote:
> >>
> >> On Mon, Feb 21 2011, Dhananjay Nene wrote:
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> [...]
> >>
> >> Agreed and I think one days worth of discussion is okay for one of the
> >> largest potential expenses that we can incur.
> >>
> >> FWIW, I don't think your initial mail was inappropriate (almost nothing
> >> is). I was a little surprised but it's best to clear all this on the
> >> list (along with the flames, smoke and the rest of it) rather than
> >> resort to private emails and phone calls.
> >
> >  When I said "uncalled for", this is what I meant. The issue could
> >  have been thrashed out between some of us privately by an
> >  email to a few or a phone call before splashing it widely to the list.
> >  I didn't mean that we shouldn't discuss these things. If I gave
> >  off such a nuance, please excuse me.
>
> I am getting extremely conflicting signals. I am confused.

 I don't think we need to muddle this further. My point simply was that
 there are a few things which I had thought was accepted and the prime
 aim of this list is to thrash out the "hows" of handling them and getting
 the job done, rather than the "whys". One among them is the aspect
 of an experienced Python dev as keynote speaker (I don't want to
 mention "foreign delegate" anymore, it is taking all kinds of connotations
 I never ascribed to it myself). These among others were some of
 the aspects I had taken for granted in this conference, that we had
 general consensus upon. So clearly I was confused and frankly
 a bit irritated when the main conference co-ordinator himself started
 raising these as things to further muse upon, i.e aspects which were
 not clear  to him.

 I don't have anything against that, but then a better place of discussion
 would be the IPSS list for such whys and other related philosophical
 matters. This is essentially a HOWTO list where we get things done
 and don't waste too much of energies on discussing the whys of
 stuff. Build consensus elsewhere, either in IPSS list or phone calls
 or direct emails and take action points to this list. That is the
discipline
 which we need to maintain I think.

> >  I think some of us in this list deserve such a treatment considering
> >  the effort we have taken in organizing many aspects of this conference
> >  last year. As stake holders in IPSS and Inpycon and as  some of the
> >  pioneers and early leaders in this forum and the conference, we deserve
> >  and expect it.
>
> A courtesy many including myself will only be too happy to extend,
> provided we believe this is preferred way of doing things.

 I normally never write like that and I don't demand such treatment,
 I think it should be the normal way of things. People earn these things,
 they don't come to them suddenly one day.

 Anyway, proposing the issue of a keynote speaker as a why, i.e
 an action item which has some questions against it, was not something
 I expected. I had thought we had gone through enough discussions
 and iterations on that aspect in this list and elsewhere last year and
 we had built a general consensus on the pluses of it, but now I
 see that everyone don't see things in black and white about it as I do.
 No problem, but let us take it to the list it deserves, not here.

That is it.

--
--Anand