[Inpycon] Decision making / Consensus building process. Was Re: Necessity of foreign delegates.

steve steve at lonetwin.net
Tue Feb 22 11:41:15 CET 2011

Hi,

Just wanted to add my emphatic ...

On 02/22/2011 03:02 PM, Navin Kabra wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 22, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Noufal Ibrahim <noufal at gmail.com
> <mailto:noufal at gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     My own personal stand is that everything should be publicly
>     discussed. The only exception is for tasks allocated to specific
>     individuals (e.g. "Anand, can you fix the email thing on the website")
>     which are not relevant to the general public.
>
>     I don't like the idea of privately thrashing out something *before*
>     putting it on the list.
>

> +1 for thrashing out things on the list.

+1 for bringing out issues in open /first/ and then if it becomes necessary (due
to flames, non-constructive advice and general gyann-giving) move it to a
private list of CCs to make a decision, announce (as opposed to request for
feedback for) the decision ...and move ahead.

> Speaking as someone relatively new to the list and getting involved in inpycon
> for the first time, it would be much easier for me (and I think, for most of the
> Pune team) to use the list for bringing up questions, doubts, issues and
> building consensus. If there needs to be off-list/private thrashing out of
> things before bringing them up on the list, the big question I would have is,
> "With whom?" If I want to understand the thought process behind inviting keynote
> speakers from abroad, should I ask Noufal, or Noufal and Anand, or Noufal and
> Anand and Kenneth? (Note: I've been a subscriber and occasional poster on this
> list since mid-2009)
>
> Also, I believe, having such discussions on the list will make the community
> stronger.

+1 here too.

> As we go through the process of organizing an inpycon for the first time, please
> bear with us as we stumble upon more issues that might be clear to someone who
> was involved in the previous inpycons but are not to us. I think it's better we
> get those clarified rather than muddle through with poor understanding of the
> issues.

...and +1 to this too. Although most of us in the Pune team were relatively
inactive the during the last 2 conferences, we are enthusiastic about this one,
initial hiccups notwithstanding.

cheers,
- steve
--